Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > caninemom3 » Killing Christmas

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,086
Threads: 53,911
Top Poster: xmas365 (164,784)
Welcome to our newest member, CharlieTheElf
Rate this Entry

Killing Christmas

Submit "Killing Christmas" to Digg Submit "Killing Christmas" to del.icio.us Submit "Killing Christmas" to StumbleUpon Submit "Killing Christmas" to Google
Posted 09-22-2010 at 09:04 PM by caninemom3

I guess I am just an idealistic sap. Each year as Christmas approaches I try to spread the Christmas spirit to everyone around me. I don't do this to be "pushy" or to try and push my faith or anything like that. I do it because it is the one time of the year I feel is truly different and I really do feel the hearts of humans tend to open a bit more at Christmas time to each other. I FEEL Christmas in my very soul and I feel I have to try and share its warmth with everyone.

I always say "Merry CHRISTmas" because for me CHRISTmas is about Christ and family and I do not just mean my family of origin because most of them are gone. I mean the family of mankind. I am usually quite bubbly and overly friendly when I am doing this and get more than a few odd looks from people. That is nothing new. I have been an oddball all my life and if being exuberant in my celebration of Christmas classifies me as an oddball then so be it !!

I somehow allow myself to be fooled into thinking that by exuding good tidings of great joy everything will be just fine and we will all be able to get along and be happy together. I am proved wrong every year but it has never stopped me from trying to spread joy every CHRISTmas season.

All the protests against Christmas will once again be in full force. There will be stores who will not allow their employees to say "Merry Christmas" and instead will only allow them to say a very generic "Happy Holidays". (A phrase by the way which personally makes my skin crawl) There wll be people who cry "separation of church and state". There will be atheists who proselytize non-belief. There will be people who object to such simple things as public Christmas displays like nativity scenes. (scary things those nativity scenes, aren't they ?)

I just don't get it. Everyone it seems is allowed to publicly celebrate every holiday as long as it is not a CHRISTIAN holiday and especially a traditionally Christian holiday like Christmas.

When I was little there was a lovely nativity scene in the town square every Christmas. It has not been there for many years because of all the protests. (I guess the peace on Earth and goodwill to men it may have inspired was too intimidating for some)

If people do not like Christmas, do not want to celebrate it then they should not. However, trying to take it away from the rest of us who DO want to celebrate it is just not acceptable. If you do not want to be a Christian, then don't be. I do not think you have to be Christian to be touched by the beauty of this magnificent season but I do think that it helps.

It seems Christ and Christmas are on the out of style list and all things worldly are on the in demand list these days.

I have news. In my opinion, Christmas WILL ALWAYS BE !!! You may take away the public displays, the nativity scenes, all the externals, even saying Merry Christmas but it will NOT be killed. Christmas to me is an internalized state of being and I lay odds that even if the public celebration of Christmas disappears Christmas will NEVER be killed.

As for myself, I will continue to do what I have always done and that is wish all whom I meet a very merry CHRISTmas and I will hope that the Spirit somehow touches at least 1 closed off heart and cause it to open enough to see the beauty that is Christmas and if that happens, then I am happy to be a Christmas oddball.
Total Comments 0

Comments

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award