Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > caninemom3 » Where Are You Christmas ?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,944
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,097)
Welcome to our newest member, TeamYANTSU
Rate this Entry

Where Are You Christmas ?

Submit "Where Are You Christmas ?" to Digg Submit "Where Are You Christmas ?" to del.icio.us Submit "Where Are You Christmas ?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Where Are You Christmas ?" to Google
Posted 10-07-2010 at 12:41 PM by caninemom3
Updated 01-09-2011 at 11:57 AM by caninemom3 (sad, depression)

I have to admit I am really sad. I don't know even where to begin. I do not want to drag anyone down who reads this but here goes.

Christmas Season is right around the corner and I LOVE THAT !!! I truly love Christmas. There is just nothing like it. I guess what is bothering me so much are a few financial things. We desperately need a new furnace. We do not have natural gas where I live so we have an oil furnace. The thing is that we went through very hard times 5 years ago and had to declare bankruptcy. Though it has long been discharged it stays on your record for 7 years at least. There are no banks who will even consider giving us a loan so we are potentially facing Winter with no furnace. It sort of works intermittently but our old furnace is 56 years old. The motor is shot and you cannot buy a new one because it is THAT outdated and no parts can be bought either. I know that "this too shall pass" but I just don't know how.

We have tried multiple banks over the course from last Winter to now and yesterday we retried one of the ones who refused us. We are honest and hard working people. I wish someone from the banking world would realize that but it is all about money for them and nothing else.

Another thing that bothers me is that I MUST take prednisone and it tends to cause side effects. I visited my doc yesterday and he decided to cut back my dosage and that is fine. Then I found out why. I heard him dictating my chart and he said I am "severly cushingoid." That means moon faced !! Great. My face is already so, well, let's just say it fits more with Halloween than Christmas, and to find out it is moon faced ?! Good, there is even more of it to see. Nothing I love better than looking like a freak.

Money for Christmas is so tight this year. I know that Christmas cannot be found in stores and that it will be fine but it is also worrying me. My husband PROMISED me when he retired his plan was to "go and get another job" so that perhaps I might be able to cut back. His getting another job is not happening. In fact, he is not even trying. I am very greatful he even gets a pension but it simply is not enough with what I make. It scares me that there is nothing planned for me to EVER stop working.

More than likely I will pull out of this slump. I don't know how, like I said, but I know eventually all will work out, somehow......
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1111 Comments 4
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a rough period. It seems to me though, that you have a very resilient personality. This is a good quality, it can keep you going even when things look to be the worst. I hope that things get better for you in the very near future!!
  2. Old Comment
    Couple of thoughts for you, Caninemom3: first of all, in my world the leanest Christmases are the best. It should never be measured by money and when you don't have money -- like we don't have now -- you tend to make Christmas with other things you do have. And what you learn is that money never makes it special -- it is the love you put into that makes it great.

As for the furnace thing, that's a real problem. But there are different programs out there to help folks in your kind of situation. Have you checked with your local utility company about what might be available in your area? Just a thought.

And as for the working spouse, well, let me remind you a little of where we are with the employment picture. I have three young adult children all struggling to find ANY kind of job. I lost my job and have had no prospects since May. My dad, who is approaching 70, lost his job and gets laughed at regularly no matter where he goes. It is as tough as I can recall it ever being in my lifetime right now.

I think we all keep things focused on what is right and important. And things will turn out ok. I think this is going to be the best Christmas ever!
  3. Old Comment
    Louanne,

I know how it is to go through a winter with a furnace/boiler that worked when it wants to, 2 years ago when we bought this house the boiler was 47 years old and Dec. 26, 2008 we woke up to a house that was in the mid 40's it was so cold we turned the oven on to self clean just to get some heat, and we had an infant to keep warm, it died 2-3 more times that winter and we hoped it would make it. We got our tax return and had it replaced the first week of March. As Jeff said look into programs in your area, I am sure there is something there. In Massachusetts we have a program run by Joe Kennedy (Senator Ted Kennedy's son) that helps people with heating issues during the winter.

Ron
    xmas365
  4. Old Comment
    CM,

I know words are sometimes little comfort when your world feels upside down, but I just wanted to remind you that you are not alone. You have so many friends here who appreciate you, and you know we're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Jeff is absolutely right. The lean Christmases tend to focus our thoughts on those things that matter most. We forget the trinkets, and we remember the Christ child. We remember that God is always with us, and that no matter how much we hurt, or how dark the day may seem, we are loved, and there will be light.

Keep the faith, my friend.

Best Always,
    jimmyo

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award