Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » Christmas in October

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,441
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Santa Speaks 2002
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 10:57 PM
35,633 Views  0 Posts
How Santa Does It
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:19 PM
46,443 Views  0 Posts
Fred Claus (Movie Review)
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 08:47 PM
53,422 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree A Christmas Tree for Cats
By MMC Editor
10-11-2013 08:21 AM
21,751 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Tips for Keeping Your...
By MMC Editor
08-30-2011 02:21 AM
65,667 Views  0 Posts
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

Christmas in October

Submit "Christmas in October" to Digg Submit "Christmas in October" to del.icio.us Submit "Christmas in October" to StumbleUpon Submit "Christmas in October" to Google
Posted 10-17-2010 at 05:38 PM by Jeff Westover
Tags baseball

Years ago when I would walk to work I passed the front window of a department store. Most of the time I'd admire the window but around Thanksgiving I found myself dreading it. Each year I would brace myself for the sign I would see that would really set me off. The window would be covered in brown paper and a single sign would simply read "Unlike our competitors we like to celebrate our holidays one at a time and we refuse to show our new Christmas window until it is actually Christmas".

I never understood that.

I get that people don't like seeing Christmas coming too early. I understand if folks become impatient with stores packed with holiday merchandise displayed with fertilizer and flip-flops. But do we have to be snotty about it?

After all, it is Christmas. What is really wrong with songs on the radio that send a message of hope? Is seeing a Christmas tree during Indian summer really a burden? When Christmas comes around I hear people every year say "Gee, I wish it could be Christmas every day!"

I see nothing wrong with that. In my little mind, I have to ask, why not?

Believe it or not, I am a believer in doing things in their season.

Yes, I love Christmas and I'm here doing my thiing year round. But in my life, especially as I have become older, I've learned to live for the moment.

Right now, it is October, one of my favorite times of the year.

I loathe the long summers here in the desert and October dismisses it completely. At the first of the month of October we're stacking firewood -- by Halloween night we're burning it. I love that shift.

Another rite of passage is -- and this isn't, I've learned, totally a guy thing -- October baseball.

I'm not a sports guy really. As a kid I wasn't much of an athlete and in school I definitely wasn't a jock. I'm a geek and always have been. But baseball has been in my blood since my earliest days. The game, despite it's flaws, is poetry to me and I never tire of the intrique of it all. October baseball is simply the best, no matter who is playing.

I grew up in Northern California and rooted for both the A's and the Giants. While a little leaguer I attended an A's game with my team and we all tried desperately to get the attention of our favorite players. I was torn in those days between two players -- Joe Rudi and Reggie Jackson.

During batting practice we lined the outfield fence near the foul pole and tried to get the attention of those players shagging fly-balls. Since Reggie was closer to me than any other player, I yelled and yelled for his attention.

I was as shocked as a ten year old could be when he at last acknowledged me -- with language I had never heard before.

It totally deflated me and I instantly lost my love and admiration for him and the A's that day. My loyalties shifted almost immediately to the Giants, and my long time favorite, who I knew would never do such a thing, Willie McCovey.

I have been a Giants fan ever since, living and dying -- mostly dying -- with each passing season. If they played baseball in October it somehow set my year right and made each season, from the burning heat of summer to the glow of Christmas, somehow fall exactly into order.

This year I'm having a good October. The firewood is stacked. And the Giants are playing baseball. I'm loving it.

The dream would be to see the Giants make it to the World Series. Even better would be to see them play against the Yankees, the team my Nana loved and rooted for. Though she died when I was quite young I have this enduring memory of her -- an understanding of the beauty of baseball and a love for it. She was from New York, grew up there and knew through out her young life only the legendary exploits of the mighty New York Yankees.

To see the Giants take them on in the World Series would be like topping the tree with an angel holding a star.

Of course, that need not happen for me to have a good fall season and a great Christmas. A great Christmas is a given.

But -- Santa, PLEASE -- make it happen. Just this once.

After all, my sign for Christmas is up year round.
Views 690 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award