Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > caninemom3 » An Ordinary Night ?

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,553)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Gift My Brother...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:03 PM
45,733 Views  0 Posts
Diary of a Snow Shoveler
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:38 PM
0 Posts
Who Put the X in...
By MMC Editor
06-22-2010 10:45 PM
0 Posts
Just Like Jesus
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:34 PM
0 Posts
Gift 2 Mormon Tabernacle Choir...
By MMC Editor
10-11-2012 10:26 PM
80,943 Views  0 Posts
Rate this Entry

An Ordinary Night ?

Submit "An Ordinary Night ?" to Digg Submit "An Ordinary Night ?" to del.icio.us Submit "An Ordinary Night ?" to StumbleUpon Submit "An Ordinary Night ?" to Google
Posted 12-19-2010 at 08:29 PM by caninemom3
Tags angel, heaven

The sky was ordinary. An occasional gust stirred the leaves and chilled the air. the stars were diamonds sparkling on black velvet. Fleets of clouds floated in front of the moon.

It was a beautiful night - a night worth peeking out your bedroom window to admire-but not really an unusual one. No reason to expect a surprise. Nothing to keep a person awake. An ordinary night with an ordinary sky.

The sheep were ordinary. Some fat. Some scrawny. Some with barrel bellies. Some with twig legs. Common animals. No fleece made of gold. No history makers. No
blue-ribbon winners. They were simply sheep - lumpy, sleeping silhouettes on a hillside.

And the shepherds. Peasants they were. Probably wearing all the clothes they owned. Smelling like sheep and looking just as woolly. They were consicentious, willing to spend the night with their flocks. But you won't find their staffs in a museum nor their writings in a library. No one asked their opinion on social justice or the application of the Torah. They were nameless and simple.

An ordinary night with ordinary sheep and ordinary shepherds. And were it not for a God who loves to hook an "extra" on the front of the ordinary, the night would have gone unnoticed. The sheep would have been forgotten, and the shepherds would have slept the night away.

But God dances amidst the common. And that night He did a waltz.

The black sky exploded with brightness. Trees that had been shadows jumped into clairity. Sheep that had been silent became a chorus of curiosity. One minute the shepherd was dead asleep, the next he was rubbing his eyes and staring into the face of an alien.

The night was ordinary no more.

The angel came in the night because that is when lights are best seen and that is when they are most needed. God comes into the common for the same reason.

HIS MOST POWERFUL TOOLS ARE THE SIMPLEST.

- Max Lucado - The Applause Of Heaven
Total Comments 0

Comments

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award