Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > elf bazaar » Why is it that Christmas makes us tick?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,085
Threads: 53,910
Top Poster: xmas365 (164,784)
Welcome to our newest member, williamjohn
Rate this Entry

Why is it that Christmas makes us tick?

Submit "Why is it that Christmas makes us tick?" to Digg Submit "Why is it that Christmas makes us tick?" to del.icio.us Submit "Why is it that Christmas makes us tick?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why is it that Christmas makes us tick?" to Google
Posted 05-10-2011 at 07:20 AM by elf bazaar

Today I have been rather busy, working on a Sunday is never something I particularly enjoy however today was a good day in fact it was rather a great day.
Running any form of retail store you have the highs and lows through out the year a Christmas store is even more so.
In order to complete my first years tax return I needed to do a full stock count, now in any other circumstance any form of bookwork/accounting is my idea of total and utter hell but spending the day counting every single treasure and sparkle has been incredibly enjoyable.
It has once again reminded me of that wonderful inner warmth that the Christmas season brings to me and how lucky I am to able to share it all through the year..
Each and every item is sat patiently waiting to become part of the right families Christmas tradition.
On the run up to Christmas working in the shop became like a drug to me.
Watching people walking around the shop playing a little game in my head, trying to guess which items they would pop in their baskets.
I would love to be able to say that with my retail experience I knew exactly what people would pick up and cherish.
However 5 and a half years experience is not nearly enough to be even close to have that kind of knowledge (in fact I doubt any number of years will give you that insight).
From this little game my mind wanders along to questions I don`t think I`ll ever be able to truly answer,
What is it about Christmas that makes people tick?.....
Why is it so, that I feel this warmth and joy and contentment simply serving Customers while they buy their festive goodies?... Some of the time I think I am more excited about their purchases than they are.
Some people truly connect to the spirit of the season others, "only do it for the kids" or "go through the motions to keep so and so happy".
Why is this so?...
Now I appreciate that everybody has a different opinion on what they believe to be the best style of decoration or the best way to hang lights on a tree that is human nature and what makes life interesting and colourful.
But further along those trails of thought I find myself wondering am I in a minority with my true heartfelt excitement of the season?, Are there people out there who have similar passions for other times of the year?, which for me simply fill the calender until it is Christmas time again...
Just call me old fashioned but my merry may day bank holiday just simply does not have the same appeal.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1266 Comments 1
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I think the magic of Christmas just touches our souls. I think Scrooge's nephew from A Christmas Carol summed up why it is so special............
    [FONT=Georgia]
    [LEFT]I have always thought of Christmas
    time as a good time: a kind, forgiving, charitable
    time.
    I believe that it has done me good,[/LEFT]
    and will do me good. I say, God bless it!

There is a different feeling, a different attitude at Christmas.....people seem to treat one another more kindly. Perhaps it has something to do with the Birthday that Christmas celebrates ?? I know for me that is a big part of why it is so special. Peace
    [/FONT]

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award