Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > elf bazaar » Filling the Christmas Cracker

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,026
Top Poster: xmas365 (167,029)
Welcome to our newest member, sonicboomboy
Rate this Entry

Filling the Christmas Cracker

Submit "Filling the Christmas Cracker" to Digg Submit "Filling the Christmas Cracker" to del.icio.us Submit "Filling the Christmas Cracker" to StumbleUpon Submit "Filling the Christmas Cracker" to Google
Posted 05-24-2011 at 12:53 PM by elf bazaar

A little dream of mine has always been to have my own range of bespoke Christmas Crackers, to those of you who do not know about Christmas Crackers or their vital role on The Christmas Dinner table in just about every house in the the UK, I shall explain via a little bit of cut and pasting....Christmas crackers or bon-bons are an integral part of Christmas celebrations in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa. They are also popular in Ireland. A cracker consists of a cardboard tube wrapped in a brightly decorated twist of paper, making it resemble an oversized sweet-wrapper. The cracker is pulled by two people, and, much in the manner of a wishbone, the cracker splits unevenly. The split is accompanied by a small bang produced by the effect of friction on a chemically impregnated card strip (similar to that used in a cap gun).
Crackers are also a part of New Year celebrations in Russia (where they are called "хлопушка") and some countries of the former Soviet Union. Those are however more similar to pyrotechnical devices, normally used outdoors, activated by one person, and produce a stronger bang accompanied by fire and smoke.
In one version of the tradition the person with the larger portion of cracker empties the contents from the tube and keeps them. In another each person will have their own cracker and will keep its contents regardless of whose end they were in. Typically these contents are a coloured paper hat or crown; a small toy, small plastic model or other trinket and a motto, a joke or piece of trivia on a small strip of paper. Crackers are often pulled before or after Christmas dinners or at parties.
Assembled crackers are typically sold in boxes of three to twelve. These typically have different designs usually with red, green and gold colours. Making crackers from scratch using the tubes from used toilet rolls and tissue paper is a common Commonwealth activity for children. Kits to make crackers can also be purchased.
So now its easier to explain what I want to do, as with many things crackers can range in quality and price, from the most sorry excuse ever 1 for a box of 12 mini crackers with no gift in or motto/joke or any real "snap" to 100,000 for 4 which are filled with diamond encrusted broaches, keys to new cars and the likes.
For my Shop this year I have sourced a company who are going to hand make me some bespoke crackers, something wonderfully unique and different which will stand out on the shelves and make people buy them!

Now money has had to be greatly considered
whilst designing my Crackers it is usually acceptable for a set of 12 crackers to cost around 15 ( approx $25), it is a healthy balance between quality and tat!. I have gone for hand rolled bright red and Christmas green for the colours and the decoration on the centre body of the cracker will be a traditional Welsh dragon, each end will be sealed by red ribbon bows and the box to hold them will be black gloss with a clear plastic lid so you can see each cracker clearly.
The appearance has been fairly easy to determine as has the choice of hats to go inside red and green were the easy choice. After that I have had to decide what range of gifts I want to have inside them, I have gone for a range of eco friendly wooden gifts including wooden spoons and cuff links. ( These are of a lovely quality and a unique option normally the gift quality may be compared to the contents of a pinata filler pack one could buy at Walmart!).

The final piece of the puzzle which will complete my beautiful Welsh Cracker is the most important piece, the small piece of paper which you`ll find folded up with the hat and toy inside.
Do I go for comedy, fact or curious ??
I feel if I get this wrong the whole product will fail I would like to go along the lines of "teach yourself Welsh" as the theme but I just cant put my finger on how I am going to achieve the right balance between fun and informative without being boring or offensive ( there are many stereotypical images of the Welsh).
You would think that 12 sentences would be easy to conjure up but I`m just hitting the same wall over and over, I want them to be perfect and wonderful and make Christmas that little bit more special for people.
But where to start?...
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1423 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    You could create them for all areas of the UK with the theme of learn the regional tongue? Would be quite funny - perhaps little Christmas sayings.
  2. Old Comment
    I like that idea! I will see how the Welsh ones go this year then will see what I can come up with for next year!!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award