Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > Storeytime » Why I'm taking a break from Facebook

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,977
Threads: 53,463
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,699)
Welcome to our newest member, SnowflakeMom
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
ďThe Great Adventure of...
By MerryCarey
05-17-2012 11:16 AM
31,028 Views  0 Posts
Wreaths: Eternity's...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:28 PM
50,536 Views  0 Posts
Sissel and the Mormon...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:48 PM
50,266 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in the South...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:15 PM
46,121 Views  0 Posts
22 16x16 Great Debates: Christmas...
By MMC Editor
10-28-2011 08:41 AM
55,409 Views  0 Posts
Rate this Entry

Why I'm taking a break from Facebook

Submit "Why I'm taking a break from Facebook" to Digg Submit "Why I'm taking a break from Facebook" to del.icio.us Submit "Why I'm taking a break from Facebook" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why I'm taking a break from Facebook" to Google
Posted 07-07-2011 at 01:23 AM by Storeytime

Edit
Why I'm taking a break from Facebook.

by Tim Storey on Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 1:17am

I wanted to give a more complete answer to so many who have asked why Iím shutting my Facebook account off. First, Iím not deleting it, just shutting it off. I think all my photos and friends list will still be active if I ever re-activate the account.

This is not meant to be dramatic; itís just a statement of fact. I donít know how much time I have left on this planet. Does anybody really know? But, when youíve had two bouts with cancer, it just makes you really think about this. The fact is; I have so many things I still want to do with my life that I donít currently get around to. I have un-written songs in me, ideas for books that are just that Ė ideas. I am a crew member of another online forum and I have projects that I want to do there that I havenít had time to start. By the way, I invite any of my Facebook friends who are Christmas lovers to join us there. I warn you though, we talk about Christmas things all year. The website is Merry Christmas.com. The actual address for the forums is: http://www.mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php. My handle there is Storeytime.

I want to spend more time with my kids while I still have them at home. I want to sit down at night and read Harry Potter and just talk. I want to jam with my son on guitar more often as he learns more and more. I want to tell my wife I love her instead of sending some kind of Facebook thing to her for the world to see, thatís really more about showing the world what a good husband I am than letting her know how I feel. Itís time for honesty. For me Facebook is a time thief. I love so many things about it and Iím going to go through Facebook withdrawal, but itís time for a break.

This isnít about making Facebook out to be the enemy or a bad thing. Iíll still have other places where Iíll have an online presence. Itís just a starting point for me. I can compare it to this: Back in the 1990ís, I was drinking way too much. I just decided to stop one day. I was not under any delusion that I would never have a glass of Merlot with a juicy, red ribeye steak or never have a cold beer on a hot day, but I knew I had to totally get away from it for a time. Since that time, I have been able to come back and drink responsibly and in moderation. Thatís how Facebook is for me right now. I just know I have to take a break, if for no other reason than to take a mental step in moving a little bit away from this electronic, digital, feeding frenzy that Iíve been undergoing for some time now. I have done the same thing with TV before, but I didnít last long in that sabbatical. In fact, TV is a bigger time thief for me than any internet surfing, but I havenít had the willpower to back off that like I know I should.

The biggest reason is one that I donít think I have the words to explain. There is just a deep, internal pulling, for lack of a better word that is making me regret this highly electronic world in which we live. I love every bit of that world, but I love it too much. I still remember a world without all the computers, DVDís, and endless digital entertainment. Itís just time for me to slow down and reflect. Maybe Iíll cut something else out and come back to Facebook, but for now, my gut tells me to start here.

Iím a dreamer, and I still believe America is the greatest country in the world for a person to accomplish those dreams. Iíve got a lot of things to do in the next ten years, if God grants me that many, and I know I have to take a drastic step to mentally challenge myself to get going on working those dreams, not just dreaming them. Iím certain I will come back when I learn how to discipline my time better, but for now Iím going to leave the page open for a few days to give those who havenít had time to leave me contact information and for me to send my contact information to those who have asked for it. In the meantime, you can phone me, write me, email me, or catch me on these sites:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/timstorey
www.zoxsy.com/tim-storey
http://www.mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php

Your friend,

Tim
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5814 Comments 11
Total Comments 11

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Great blog! =)
    Posted 07-07-2011 at 02:55 PM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is offline
  2. Old Comment
    I hear you Tim. I have pulled back a little on Facebook myself. I am trying to concentrate on my cooking/food blog and MMC too, which are more fulfilling than Facebook. Good luck to you. See you on MMC.
  3. Old Comment
    Your blog has inspired me to stay off the internet this evening, and go visit my sister. Thank you for sharing your point of view with us!
  4. Old Comment
    Tim, way to go man. I for one have had to put Facebook in the 'despised' status for all the time consumption it creates in the lives of so many of my dear ones. We need more physical/personal interaction but we substitute electronic interaction for those we are actually in physical proximity of. Hang in there - enjoy your newfound freedoms - build those relationships and memories and work to live without regrets. We're all pulling for you.
  5. Old Comment
    Good for you, I hope you reach those goals, make those dreams come true I am sure a lot of people would benefit... I do not care for Facebook, Twitter, & to a certian degree texting, I feel they have taken us too far from "real" time with people, sometimes I think these sites create a place for people to read what others are doing instead of actually living life themselves. Making a start is great!!!
  6. Old Comment
    Thanks for the comments and words of encouragement!
  7. Old Comment
    Way to go! I have nothing against Facebook, Twitter, etc, but I do not have enough time to do everything else I want to do as it is.
    Posted 08-11-2011 at 12:37 PM by Yuletide Junkie Yuletide Junkie is online now
  8. Old Comment
    Great Blog!! Thanks for sharing. I think there comes a time in which we all can step back, take a break and stop to smell the roses. Life has so much to offer. And your words are encouraging.
  9. Old Comment
    Tim,

Amen, brother. I do have friends in far corners of the world, and fb makes it possible for us to keep in touch. But far too much time flows down the social media sink. I've cut back as well.

Now--get started on that book. No time like the present...

Best,
    jimmyolsen
  10. Old Comment
    In the name of full disclosure, I have re-conncected my Facebook account, but for a pretty good reason.

I wanted to post the pictures and video I took of the recent wildfires in Bastrop, Texas. We were called into the region to get emergency power to an MRI so that the magnet wouldn't melt down. These were some pretty close-up shots that I felt needed to be made public.

Anyway, I haven't closed the account again, but I have been keeping my time there to a bare minimum. So far, so good. If I start to spend too much time there, it's going bye bye again.
  11. Old Comment
    I totally understand where you are coming from, spending more time with family and getting the songs in your head sung out loud and all of life's pleasures are vitally important and sometimes we all take it for granted.

As I'm sure I've mentioned to you privately, my father nearly died six years ago from cancer and everyone who knew him was concerned for the entire family. He was diagnosed in June that year and by the following April he was back to work and in the late summer he took up a game of golf. The following year, he carried his own clubs around the course instead of using a cart and bragged about that for days.

Strong character and a love for things outside of oneself is one reason I know so many survivors. I lost a dear friend to cancer three years ago and it's still hard to make sense of why she couldn't overcome it, but in the end I realized that cancer sucks and different types of cancer are more deadly than others. The type my father had contributed to his mother's death when I was only a year old. Cancer detection and treatments have come along way since then.

My husband reminded me of the watch I gave him when we celebrated our first Christmas together. I had it engraved with the words "making time for friendship" and now I'm the one making up for lost time. I haven't closed anything down, but I have backed up a bit so we can spend more time together.

P.S. I'm still cheering for you!
    Posted 10-06-2011 at 05:34 PM by AuntieMistletoeDear AuntieMistletoeDear is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award