Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > caninemom3 » A Hot Summer Day

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,471
Top Poster: xmas365 (151,038)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Candygold Affordable Homemade...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:33 PM
51,611 Views  0 Posts
Nothing
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:18 PM
52,166 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in July: A...
By MerryCarey
07-26-2011 08:26 AM
Last post by jimmyolsen
09-02-2011 09:32 PM
1 Posts
What exactly is an elf?
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:47 PM
56,429 Views  0 Posts
Charlie Brown's...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 08:58 PM
56,424 Views  0 Posts
Rate this Entry

A Hot Summer Day

Submit "A Hot Summer Day" to Digg Submit "A Hot Summer Day" to del.icio.us Submit "A Hot Summer Day" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Hot Summer Day" to Google
Posted 08-11-2011 at 11:18 AM by caninemom3

[B]It was August and what an August. It was so hot if you went outside it felt like you had stepped into an electric blanket turned up to a million degrees. Lawns were dying. There was little rain.

The somewhat young man had just had a birthday in June. He turned 31. He was going through a tough time. Down on his luck. He had lost his job. His wife had kicked him out. He had no other choice but to go and see if his parents would let him move back in. He and his dad never really got along but remarkably his father agreed that his son should come back home.

Every day after he lost his job even though it was Sahara Desert hot he arose early and walked, going from store to store, from business to business to see if anyone could give him employment. He was tired and feeling very down on himself.

His only joys that Summer were when he would occasionally go out with friends and and hang out. He felt embarrassed that he didn't even have money to buy his own beers or cigarettes. Every weekend that Summer he would go over to his younger sister's apartment and spent the weekend with her and her husband at their invitation.

When he was with his sister and brother-in-law he seemed to forget his troubles. The three of them always had such a fun time. They laughed and joked and life was good. Still, he felt guilty because he knew they didn't have much money either but they always insisted that he come over.

He grew closer to his little sister that Summer. He had always watched out for her without her knowing it. Kept it "on the down-low" so to speak. She never knew he was "hovering" like a protective mother hen. He and his sister would often walk to the library that year and hung out together a lot.

On one particular weekend, he had done his usual. He had arisen early to go looking for work. No luck again and his dad was beginning to hound him about finding a job. He had just enough money for a couple of beers so he went to his favorite saloon. There he ran into a friend he had not seen for a while. The friend suggested they go to the "country" where there were strip mines and they could go swimming. Not very productive but at least it would beat the heat for a while then later he would head over to his sister's apartment as it was Friday.

They arrived to the strip mines and were having a really good time. His friend had brought beers for them. The afternoon started to pass. It was so excruciatingly hot it was hard to breath. The water in the strip mine was ice cold. In fact the water was as cold as the air temperature was hot. He and his buddy were taking turns diving.

By mid afternoon they were both too drunk to be diving but feeling reckless the young man dove one last time.

This time, however, when he hit the water something was different. It seemed to take his breath away and it frightened him a bit. Then he knew what was happening.

After just a few moments he realized he had gone to another place and not in the water anymore. He felt he had entered the The Twilight Zone but there was something about this place that took away his fears. He was surrounded by light. Pure light. Calming light. Then he felt a presence. A warmth came over him and a peace he had never experienced before.

A man was there with him in the light and there seemed to be lots of other people too. He looked at this man and he knew who the man was. The young man suddenly felt very sad and ashamed. A miraculous thing happened next. The strange man held out his arms to embrace the young man. He told him there was no need to be ashamed. He told the young man he had known him all his life, even before his life and he loved him, that he had died for him. He said he had been waiting for the young man to arrive and he said welcome home, son. The young man at last was at peace and was feeling loved in a way that could not be described for the first time in his life. He was content. He was home.

I can only hope you are at peace, my dear brother Andy. This story was for you. All the events up until the last paragraph are what transpired 34 years ago on August 12, 1977, when you left. I miss you. You will never know how much I miss you. You were my best friend in the whole world. I know in my heart and soul that the last paragraph is true. That Christ himself embraced you and took you into his care for eternity. Be at peace, my dear brother, Andy. I love you xo

[/B]
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2214 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Oh CM3 it is beautiful and touching. I am sorry for your loss, I too know that time lessens the pain but it never really goes away. Peace and love.
  2. Old Comment
    CM3,

This is lovely tribute to your brother. I'm sure he's watching over you still, and that he's quite proud of the person his little sister has become.

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award