Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » Howls of Christmas Laughter, Tears of Christmas Memories

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,026
Top Poster: xmas365 (167,029)
Welcome to our newest member, sonicboomboy
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

Howls of Christmas Laughter, Tears of Christmas Memories

Submit "Howls of Christmas Laughter, Tears of Christmas Memories" to Digg Submit "Howls of Christmas Laughter, Tears of Christmas Memories" to del.icio.us Submit "Howls of Christmas Laughter, Tears of Christmas Memories" to StumbleUpon Submit "Howls of Christmas Laughter, Tears of Christmas Memories" to Google
Posted 09-25-2011 at 12:11 PM by Jeff Westover

It is a brilliant fall Sunday morning and I'm playing hooky from Church with a couple of the kids who have come down with sore throats. You wouldn't guess that right now if you were here and could hear their howls of laughter on this otherwise peaceful Sunday morning.

Sunday is a no-TV-no-computer-no-video-game day in my house and to occupy themselves they have pulled out a now-vintage camcorder that I last used around the year 1999 and they are watching themselves as babies and wee ones. This morning Christmas of 1996 is playing and I hear once again their tiny voices from the distant past.

And the kids are laughing their butts off.

To be honest with you though I couldn't stay out there with these teenagers of mine. I watched for about five minutes before I returned here to my office and shut the door, effectively leaving the past for them to review this morning. Something about it made me a little sad.

As I was watching those videos I could remember every detail I was seeing. The quality of the recording is quite good and there on the big screen it was all too vivid for me. I delight in my children, especially in these young adult years of theirs and the videos just make me want to go back. We didn't realize then the golden years they were.

These are golden years too. As I get old and weepy I think it is because I realize what good times these are with my kids. And that they will be over soon as the pull of adulthood will take them away to make videos of their own.

One of these days I'll get those videos digitized and give them all copies as gifts.

But for now they can watch them on the old camcorder -- sitting on the same floor where those memories were made.

I find that poetic in a way.
Views 1550 Comments 1
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Good post, Jeff. Touching...

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award