Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > lauriebear » Thanksgiving Day

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,973
Threads: 53,442
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,945)
Welcome to our newest member, Norrisrals
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Santa Speaks 2001
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 10:56 PM
45,551 Views  0 Posts
Presentblue Black Friday 2012: The...
By Jeff Westover
11-23-2012 05:13 PM
48,619 Views  0 Posts
Korat Christmas
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:32 PM
47,428 Views  0 Posts
I Always Felt So Special
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:20 PM
45,421 Views  0 Posts
Washington's Christmas...
By MMC Editor
07-03-2011 09:16 PM
58,514 Views  0 Posts
Rate this Entry

Thanksgiving Day

Submit "Thanksgiving Day" to Digg Submit "Thanksgiving Day" to del.icio.us Submit "Thanksgiving Day" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thanksgiving Day" to Google
Posted 11-11-2011 at 02:23 PM by lauriebear

Thanksgiving Day is celebrated in the United States every year on the fourth Thursday in November. On this day the American families gather and enjoy the Thanksgiving feast, which includes Turkey, with all the trimmings. They also offer Thanksgiving prayers to God on this day and sing songs to praise Him.

History of American Thanksgiving

The 1st Thanksgiving Day, set aside for the special purpose of prayer and celebrations, was decreed by Governor William Bradford in July 30, 1623. There were harvest festivals, or days of thanking God for plentiful crops because that year the Pilgrim's fall harvest was very successful and plentiful after a period of drought. There was corn, fruits, vegetables, along with fish which was packed in salt, and meat that was smoke cured over fires. The Governor proclaimed a day of thanksgiving that was to be shared by all the colonists and the neighboring Native American Indians.

The event, however, was a one-time celebration and was not intended to be an annual festival. It was not even repeated the following year. It was only after 55 years that another Thanksgiving Day was officially proclaimed. The Governing Council of Charlestown, Massachusetts convened on June 20, 1676 to weigh how to best express thanks for the good fortune that had secured the establishment of their community. By unanimous vote, Edward Rawson (the Clerk of the Council) was instructed to announce June 29 as a Day of Thanksgiving that year. But this time also the event proved to be just a one-time event.

Then the Continental Congress suggested a day of national thanksgiving during the American Revolution in late 1770's. In 1817 New York State adopted Thanksgiving Day as an annual custom, and by the middle of the 19th century many other states also did the same.

In 1863 President Abraham Lincoln appointed a national day of thanksgiving. Since then each president has issued a Thanksgiving Day proclamation, usually designating the fourth Thursday of each November as the holiday for Thanksgiving in America.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 950 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award