Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » Like Peas and Carrots and Whiskers on Kittens

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,125
Threads: 54,224
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,350)
Welcome to our newest member, AMcLoud
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

Like Peas and Carrots and Whiskers on Kittens

Submit "Like Peas and Carrots and Whiskers on Kittens" to Digg Submit "Like Peas and Carrots and Whiskers on Kittens" to del.icio.us Submit "Like Peas and Carrots and Whiskers on Kittens" to StumbleUpon Submit "Like Peas and Carrots and Whiskers on Kittens" to Google
Posted 11-13-2011 at 11:05 AM by Jeff Westover

I don't know why it is bothering me so much this year. And as I reflect on it, I'm probably the only person in the world who notices this problem. But it is getting to me to read so much in the media about how sick people are of the "early" Christmas. It is just non-stop this year. The whining just goes on and on about how Christmas has taken over Thanksgiving.

Why does it have to be either one or the other?

I've never looked at Thanksgiving separate from Christmas. At the same time, I've never looked at it separate from Halloweeen. They are all part of the same -- the season. They go together like peas and carrots.

As I was working on the Thanksgiving podcast last night I found myself in tears over parts because in my most personal spots Thanksgiving is a time of great sacred significance to me.

I think it is because I've become a weepy old man in these years where my children spread their adult wings and turn my hair gray. I am, I suppose, suffering a midlife crisis, being able as I am to look back and to see forward so clearly.

And life is indeed sweet. And that accounting is the very essence of Thanksgiving, a profoundly personal moment of reflection that takes a man like me and drives him to his knees.

I fight competing input at this time of the year. Honestly, we get emails and phone calls and messages all year long now but the crazies start to really come out after Halloween. This year they've been rattling the cages that we're starting Christmas too early....what am I going to do? Shut down the websites in early November?

But rage knows no reason and the Internet makes spewing rage an art. Sometimes they spew on me.

Others are not quite so rude but will suggest that we should and could do more to recognize Thanksgiving.

I take exception to that. We run Real Thanksgiving.com. We share our recipes, talk our plans, and seek out our Thanksgiving information here every year. Thanksgiving also launches the Santa updates for us, we are avid Black Friday reporters and, of course, we always have the Big Thanksgiving show on the Merry Podcast.

Don't tell me we don't do Thanksgiving or appreciate it. We love it. We drink it in with large gulps and bask in all the aromas it offers. Thanksgiving, after all, is all a part of Christmas.

For many, I do believe Thanksgiving is just a day. But for me, I've been celebrating Thanksgiving for a while now and will continue long after it is gone. It is one of my favorite things.

My favorite things...raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. I've always wondered why some consider that a Christmas song and that it has appeared on countless Christmas albums that way.

It is because this season...which for me knows no clear start and decernible end...has so many of my favorite things folded within itself. It is, for lack of a better term, like a giant burrito.

And it tastes good.
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Jeff,

It bothers me when people make the comment that it is "too early." Unfortunately, for some people it will always be "too early" to feel the joy of Christmas. You have sports fans who clamor for their favorite sports and teams everyday of the year, they have sports radio, endless sports on TV, apps for their phones, anything they could imagine to keep them in touch with their sports. It would be the same for one of us on the first of May to say it is too early for football season, that person would be ticked off that we felt that way. I love Christmas, Thanksgiving and the season as a whole, it would not feel like Christmas without Thanksgiving, and to my surprise this year with the freak October snowstorm "cancelling Halloween" here, it doesn't feel like Thanksgiving to me, but I know in 11 days that beautiful day will be here. I know you get the opinions of the naysayers more than we could imagine here, I couldn't imagine how disheartening it feels, but I know what I feel for this time of year is what I aim for feeling year round. You have made this site, this site has 8000 people who feel the same way (for the most part) about Christmas. I thank you sir for making me feel like I am not crazy for celebrating Christmas, no matter how little I celebrate it each day, I know I am not alone.

Ron

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award