Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > lauriebear » Fixing the date of the holiday; Thanksgiving Day

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,447
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,108)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
A Miraculous Movie
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:02 PM
53,909 Views  0 Posts
The Rudolph Controversy
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:21 PM
47,952 Views  0 Posts
Santa Speaks 2007
By MMC Editor
06-11-2007 11:13 PM
54,676 Views  0 Posts
The Angel or the Star?
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:45 PM
Last post by Stnicholas01
07-18-2013 01:57 PM
50,057 Views  1 Posts
“Happy Christmas Time”...
By MerryCarey
05-15-2012 02:56 PM
28,411 Views  0 Posts
Rate this Entry

Fixing the date of the holiday; Thanksgiving Day

Submit "Fixing the date of the holiday; Thanksgiving Day" to Digg Submit "Fixing the date of the holiday; Thanksgiving Day" to del.icio.us Submit "Fixing the date of the holiday; Thanksgiving Day" to StumbleUpon Submit "Fixing the date of the holiday; Thanksgiving Day" to Google
Posted 11-15-2011 at 02:45 PM by lauriebear

Thanksgiving in the United States was observed on various dates throughout history. The dates of Thanksgiving in the era of the Founding Fathers until the time of Lincoln had been decided by each state on various dates. The first Thanksgiving celebrated on the same date by all states was in 1863 by presidential proclamation. The final Thursday in November had become the customary date of Thanksgiving in most U.S. states by the beginning of the 20th century. And so, in an effort by President Abraham Lincoln (influenced by the campaigning of author Sara Josepha Hale) to foster a sense of American unity between the Northern and Southern states, proclaimed the date to be the final Thursday in November.
It was not until December 26, 1941, that the unified date changed to the fourth Thursday (and not always final) in November -this time by federal legislation. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, after two years earlier offering his own proclamation to move the date earlier, with the reason of giving the country an economic boost, agreed to sign a bill into law with Congress, making Thanksgiving a national holiday on the fourth (not final) Thursday in November.

Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2389 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Good information on Thanksgiving on these last two posts, Lauriebear!

When Roosevelt changed the date in the name of boosting the economy it was very controversial and actually ticked off a few folks. That year he did it there were actually TWO Thanksgivings -- those who observed the changed date, and those who stubbornly kept the original date. It was one of the few times where the public vociferously demonstrated against FDR.
  2. Old Comment
    Thanks Jeff, I love looking up about Thanksgiving - it is one of my favorite days, I look forward so much to it. I love that we can research things we love and post it in our blogs!!!

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award