Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > Lazarus » Icicle Lights for Christmas and Beyond

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,436
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
There's Something About...
By MMC Editor
06-22-2010 10:42 PM
49,714 Views  0 Posts
Presentblue Guide to Black Friday...
By MMC Editor
11-08-2012 11:50 AM
Last post by jimmydbrown
12-27-2012 04:59 AM
82,741 Views  4 Posts
"The Child Who Saw Santa...
By MerryCarey
10-26-2011 09:01 AM
0 Posts
Gift 2 Catching Santa: Ain't...
By Elf Ed Zachary
11-26-2013 03:03 AM
4,302 Views  0 Posts
Presentblue Black Friday 2012: The...
By Jeff Westover
11-23-2012 05:13 PM
48,599 Views  0 Posts
Rate this Entry

Icicle Lights for Christmas and Beyond

Submit "Icicle Lights for Christmas and Beyond" to Digg Submit "Icicle Lights for Christmas and Beyond" to del.icio.us Submit "Icicle Lights for Christmas and Beyond" to StumbleUpon Submit "Icicle Lights for Christmas and Beyond" to Google
Posted 12-20-2011 at 02:19 PM by Lazarus
Updated 09-11-2012 at 02:36 PM by Jeff Westover

One of the most traditionally used type of holiday lights, icicle lights adorn houses on every corner during Christmas. They are perhaps the most popular type of Christmas light because of their appearance, trailing along roof lines with graceful drops that call to mind the image of frozen icicles in a wintry season. While traditionally used only at Christmas, icicle lights offer a unique display in that they can be used for multiple holidays and functions. With a myriad of colors, they are a versatile product that inspires creativity in design.

A good icicle light has a range of drops with tightly wound wire. Loose wire can destroy the appearance of the frozen icicle, so wire that is twisted tightly and does not gap keeps icicle lights from becoming tangled and unsightly. Another trait of a good icicle light is the color. LED icicle lights have the truest color and a longer life span since they use only 10-20% of the energy that an incandescent light uses. Despite rumors to the contrary, LEDs are just as bright or brighter than their incandescent counterpart, and their color is much truer to their name. Cool white LED icicle lights have a frosty appearance, resolving in a pure white look that contributes to the snowy feel, while other colors, such as red, blue, and green, appear bright and stand out wherever they are placed. For those who like the warm appearance of incandescent icicle lights, warm white LEDs are available to mirror the golden glow.

Because of the wide selection of icicle lights, they are adaptable to any type of holiday. Many icicle lights are specifically tailored to Halloween, sporting black wire with orange and purple bulbs. Decorating for Halloween with icicle lights can be slightly different than decorating for Christmas. Whereas Christmas decorators traditionally choose to use the icicle lights on the outside of the house in very neat rows, using Halloween lights all over the house in strange patterns can make them appear more like spider webs than icicles. Hang them in staggered lines or make them hang and droop at random for a spooky feel. Bright lights in purples, greens, and golds achieve a bright and springy feel perfect for Easter. Draping Easter lights like garland around the interior of a house gives an uplifting feeling to any room and adds contrast when coupled with other Easter decorations. Like Halloween, the 4th of July also has specialty lights made just for it. Celebrate Independence Day with icicle lights in red, white, and blue. Decorating with them as one would Christmas lights shows off a house in the most patriotic way possible and catches attention in summer when icicle lights are so rarely seen.

Icicle lights are also perfect for decorating spaces that need a little bit of illumination. Warm white icicle lights with white wire are perfect for weddings when coupled with other white objects. Drape sheer white material on the ceiling and hang twinkling icicle lights within to give off a warm, starry vibe. Further the romance by using the same white lights in glass jars wrapped with the sheer material as table centerpieces. Personal rooms in the house can also benefit from icicle lights hung for nightly use. Blue icicle lights in the bathroom give off a watery feel, while any color lights around the ceiling in a bedroom can match and enhance the room's design. Coupling the bedroom icicle lights with artistic posters and insiring quotes painted right onto the wall makes for a unique room with a homey feel.

If you have the creativity, you can use icicle lights at any time of the year, including in personal home decorations. With their varied colors and elegant drops, icicle lights suit many areas and bring a freshness in design. Coming up with ideas is half of the challenge and yet most of the fun as icicle lights are easy to work with and naturally beautiful. Expand your horizons with icicle lights and try decorating in new ways.
Views 1952 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award