Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » Finding Christmas

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,554)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Tips for Buying a Fresh...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:57 PM
Last post by trackrebel
03-24-2014 09:13 AM
45,804 Views  1 Posts
Frankincense
By MMC Editor
06-08-2011 05:45 PM
47,358 Views  0 Posts
No Longer Alone in a...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:30 PM
39,360 Views  0 Posts
stocking Santa Smoking: Why is...
By Jeff Westover
10-11-2012 08:10 AM
Last post by HollyJolly
09-02-2013 08:30 AM
42,330 Views  6 Posts
The Reality of Christmas...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:26 PM
47,848 Views  0 Posts
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

Finding Christmas

Submit "Finding Christmas" to Digg Submit "Finding Christmas" to del.icio.us Submit "Finding Christmas" to StumbleUpon Submit "Finding Christmas" to Google
Posted 03-08-2012 at 08:13 PM by Jeff Westover

Here it is early March and my Christmas tree is still up.

That sounds like the confession of a crazed Christmas fanatic but the truth is far less romantic. My tree is up because much of my house, my life, my websites (such as this one) has all been in a suspended state due to a family crisis.

I won't detail that event here other than to say I'm sorry I've been gone. It is easy to excuse things when you can claim it is a life or death situation but honestly, it hasn't been life or death, at least not in the traditional sense. It has merely been what some would classify as teenage drama.

I don't suspect anyone will understand that. But these are MY kids I'm talking about and they are simply the world to me. I know they have to grow up and I know they must assume adult issues at earlier and earlier ages. But oh, how I wish I could go back in time and preserve them for just a little while longer, locked in their innocence and purity.

Over the past several weeks I have found myself pushing to come back here and assume my duties.

Have you ever fought yourself in a dream? You know that feeling when you are aware you are awake but you cannot simply control your body to get up and get moving? Where fighting to raise your arm or open an eye seems to take herculean effort? That's what it has been like for me to restart my Christmas spirit and take up again my Christmas duties. Yes, the tree is up but the lights aren't on, folks.

And it is sad because this is what I love to do most. How we lose track of such things when the chips are down and you've been punched in the gut.

But I think today I've finally opened my eyes. It has taken every ounce of strength to finally do it but I'm logged in...and I see many things to do.

This coming Christmas will be different for me. I knew it would be long ago, of course. I knew 2012 would be a crucial year of change as yet another of my children is transitioning from childhood to adulthood.

He's still a boy, in my eyes. Definitely not quite a man. And ever so much a child.

But Christmas for many of us is about a Child, too. And that, in and of itself, gives me hope.

Hope enough, I think, to once again get out of bed and turn on the lights.

I'm finding Christmas again. It's right here. Right where I left it.
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I have no wise words to offer, but I sincerely wish you strength and comfort if your trials aren't over yet.
  2. Old Comment
    hi jeff. sorry to hear all that. kids. but guess like everything time moves for them to and they go from babies to kids to teenages to adults. and sometimes the journey is not what we wood like for them. they make choices and they might be the right or wrong ones.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award