Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » The World's Largest Christmas Party -- Again!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,974
Threads: 53,446
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,043)
Welcome to our newest member, CarrollMl
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Tree Using Outdoor...
By JeanetteDi
09-18-2011 03:26 PM
Last post by Christmas-man
11-23-2011 07:45 AM
92,404 Views  1 Posts
Christmas Poems from...
By MerryCarey
05-15-2012 03:09 PM
43,473 Views  0 Posts
Jimmy Scarecrow's...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 07:57 PM
66,881 Views  0 Posts
How to Make the Most of...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:55 PM
47,617 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Controversies
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:27 PM
50,515 Views  0 Posts
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

The World's Largest Christmas Party -- Again!

Submit "The World's Largest Christmas Party -- Again!" to Digg Submit "The World's Largest Christmas Party -- Again!" to del.icio.us Submit "The World's Largest Christmas Party -- Again!" to StumbleUpon Submit "The World's Largest Christmas Party -- Again!" to Google
Posted 09-16-2012 at 11:20 PM by Jeff Westover

Tucked away in a dark corner of the Merry Forums is a discussion area off-limits to most the merry faithful -- a private little get away for the Christmas Crew.

I set the area up years ago. I was attempting to follow the advice of forum managing webmasters who ran big communities. We weren't big, by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought we'd get there and we would need a place to discuss all the thorny issues of running a public gathering place.

Alas, our deliberations over forum member fights, spammers, grossly over-opinionated posters and other nasty elements so often associated with Internet communities never really took root in our crew areas. Folks at Christmas, it appears, are altogether too nice. By and large we don't have many problems to deal with.

So our crew area has become more of a giant brain-storming area for My Merry Christmas. Our prolific Christmas Crew -- the very cream of our membership, in fact -- come by when they can to help move our activities along to make Christmas here merry 365 days a year.

It was into this environment that I threw out the notion last year of the World's Largest Christmas Party.

The vision was this: we would plan an event online that would bring Christmas from around the world together into one place -- so that all could enjoy.

We started the event during "prime time" in Far Eastern time zones -- and finished in prime time in the American West.

We scheduled chats on various themes at Christmas Chatter.com. We posted topics we called workshops of Christmas interest in the forums. We held contests to showcase what people were doing for Christmas around the world. And we held a spontaneous live radio broadcast featuring call-ins from Merry Forum members from all over.

Some things worked and some things didn't.

However, despite the mistakes, we made a memory or two and darn if I'm not getting emails now asking what the plans are for this year.

I'm surprised we want to do it again considering all that went wrong. I won't dwell on the ugly details but let it suffice to say that it wasn't the success in numbers that I hoped it would be.

But in terms of Christmas Spirit -- it was off the charts. And it was a lot of fun.

So we're doing it again. Over in the crew area we're sorting through ideas and making plans.

But this thing is bigger than the Christmas Crew -- it is bigger than me. We're going to need more input than what we have right now.

So this is an open invitation to make your voice heard. Please send me an email, a private message or respond to this post with your ideas for the World's Largest Christmas Party 2012.

All we know so far is the date -- December 16th, 2012. That's a full five days before the end of the world and 9 days before Christmas. We should all be able to make it since I'm telling you now and nothing should stop you from showing up.

Last year, I had this insane vision that all I needed to do was to grab an eggnog and watch everyone have a good time. Instead, I was multi-tasking faster than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. I still have that insane vision -- I wanna have fun. So we're going to need to be more organized this year.

What should we do this time around?
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Jeff and the Christmas Crew - I know I am never much help when it comes to these things. I know you said in this blog that some things went wrong. I didn't realize too many of them. I think you guys did a great job and you always do. At this time, I can't think of anything different that you should be doing. It was so much fun last year. I was able to participate a lot last year. By looking at the calendar, it will be my weekend to work, plus I always work Sundays. If I think of something I will let you know - I know you guys want input - keep up the input though - you always do a great job.

P.S. - Here I go: I guess the only thing I could think of right now is the schedule that was up last year. It was confusing at times. Maybe that she just me. I would sometimes read it and not know where to go from point A to B. If it's a new user, they may be lost. Thanks!

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award