Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > Christmas, Life, and Family » Black Friday Is Ruining Thanksgiving

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 53,979
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,477)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy
My name is Ron, I am a Christmas nut always have been always will be. I am first and foremost a stay at home dad that has an evening job at a retail/grocery establishment. After my second son was born I stepped down from my management position, so my wife and I don't have to pay for daycare. My wife is a teacher in the town we live, so people recognize us everywhere in our little town.
My wife and I have been married for 9 years. We have 2 boys aged 6 and 3, both are young Christmas nuts.

I have loved Christmas as long as I remember
from seeing the lights on all the houses, to seeing if I could stay awake to see Santa.
Christmas has been the one constant in my life it has always been there for me, through the rough times of my parents divorce when I was 10 y/o or my mother's passing when I was 16.
Everyone always tried to make it something special for myself and sister when we were young no matter what was going on. I now believe that is why I love this time of year more than any other because of the efforts of my family to hold it above any other time of year. I get to make the season special for my boys now, whether it be by playing the music decorating the house and yard or just playing the dvd's. The memories the season has brought have always warm and it is no wonder why I look forward to making more of these memories every year. My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story my favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night. My favorite Christmas artist is Bing Crosby.
Well if I ran on a little bit I am sorry I am new to blogging, it sounds always better in your mind.
I will try to keep posting and making it interesting for all who read.
Rate this Entry

Black Friday Is Ruining Thanksgiving

Submit "Black Friday Is Ruining Thanksgiving" to Digg Submit "Black Friday Is Ruining Thanksgiving" to del.icio.us Submit "Black Friday Is Ruining Thanksgiving" to StumbleUpon Submit "Black Friday Is Ruining Thanksgiving" to Google
Posted 11-23-2012 at 02:23 PM by xmas365
Updated 11-23-2012 at 02:29 PM by xmas365

As someone who has been "behind the counter" for Black Friday the last 19 years in one way or another, another Black Friday has once again brought out the ugly side of the human population. When I first started working on Black Friday's I was an ignorant 18 year old kid who really never heard or paid attention to the concept. I never heard of "Doorbusters," "Black Friday," que lines, and so on. I worked people came in bought what they wanted and left, you rarely saw riots, trampling, fist fights arguments. In this society of instant gratification, and instant fame of YouTube you see these people making fools of themselves of what has become nothing more than legalized looting, I fear my safety going to work and I cannot enjoy my family time on Thanksgiving, with the anxiety I feel all day building before zero hour gets there, I am not the only one who feels that way because if we make one wrong move at the wrong time we could be the one being trampled or being punched trying to stem off a conflict. I am so done with putting my life in danger over a something that is $5 off the regular price. My wife and I happily spent a little more on a product online yesterday than to deal with the total craziness of the big sale. It is not worth it anymore, for a bunch of people who are trained to put products on a shelf are all the sudden to be thrown into crowd control being one vs 200. Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays but now is being replaced with being a day of dread of what is forthcoming a mere few hours later, Massachusetts has laws that forbids retail stores from opening on Thanksgiving Day, but the feelings of angst are just as bad as being open. It is hard to look for a different job with years I put in, with what I have earned in vacation time, 401k, and salary, I just don't know if I can go through this anymore.
If people feel that the so called Christmas Creep is ruining Thanksgiving, they have it wrong. It is the retail "holy" day of Black Friday that is making people forget the real meaning of Thanksgiving. It is not the turkey, it is not the football. Being thankful for spending quality time with your family and friends is the true meaning, not a $10 video game or a $200 TV.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1224 Comments 1
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I couldn't agree with you more and its just getting worse every year.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award