Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » Farewell Our Beloved Friend

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,977
Threads: 53,462
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,699)
Welcome to our newest member, SnowflakeMom
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Gift 2 The Bog Ruby...
By Meceka
08-20-2011 10:33 AM
Last post by ibelieveinchristmas
10-11-2011 10:05 AM
1 Posts
Mistletoe Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-23-2012 03:40 PM
34,057 Views  0 Posts
How Santa Does It
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:19 PM
46,494 Views  0 Posts
The Best of Christmas...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:51 PM
Last post by Minta
04-01-2014 10:33 AM
47,957 Views  3 Posts
No Longer Alone in a...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:30 PM
39,402 Views  0 Posts
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

Farewell Our Beloved Friend

Submit "Farewell Our Beloved Friend" to Digg Submit "Farewell Our Beloved Friend" to del.icio.us Submit "Farewell Our Beloved Friend" to StumbleUpon Submit "Farewell Our Beloved Friend" to Google
Posted 07-02-2013 at 01:53 PM by Jeff Westover
Updated 07-02-2013 at 02:02 PM by Jeff Westover

Sam passed away peacefully today after a long illness. Born on Halloween 2001 Sam came to his family on Christmas morning as a present for our 9 year old daughter but he ended up becoming a gift to us all.

Sam was one of a litter of 8 short hair border collie puppies found from a rescue in Ogden, Utah. He was the smallest and most social of the bunch. Sam spent the bulk of his first car ride from Ogden to Draper, Utah on my chest, shaking and whining nearly the entire way. His welcome on Christmas morning was glorious and he basked in the activity, love and energy that a family with seven children would provide.

Sam was a bird chaser and a mouse catcher. He was intolerant of cats, squirt guns and carbonated beverages the kids would sometimes slip him for entertainment (he barked at them). Sam was athletic, loving to run for long periods of time. He was a tireless explorer, a fearless wanderer and a hopeless carnivore.

Sam was socially active. He endlessly fought at fences to compete in barking contests with the dogs next door. He was obedient only when it was convenient, shy only around water, and angry only when trapped. He would have never confronted a burglar with anything other than a bark, a wag of his tail and an enthusiastic hug, complete with kisses.

Sam had a terrific sense of humor. Once, while standing in line at a park clinic for free shots, he peed on the leg of a man standing there with his dog. Sam could only look up with a smile and a twinkle in his eye as he tried to blame it on the owner’s dog.

Sam was gentle and loving. He was invested especially in the kids as babies and toddlers, becoming their first friend. As the kids would vie for his attention outside through the patio door he would kiss them through the glass. He endured endless dress up games, bonnets, hats, bows and stage costumes of many childhood productions and he did so with good humor and style (he always forgot his lines though).

Sam was never a guard dog but he never failed to alert us of strangers or odd goings-on. He did not like rain, thunderstorms, earthquakes or high winds. He loved the snow, however, and took great pleasure in chasing both snowballs and soap bubbles. There was never a snowman in the yard that didn’t bear Sam’s mark.

Sam was loyal, optimistic, and endlessly playful. He was an outstanding listener. While he lacked discipline there wasn’t a mean bone in his body. There was rarely a person he met he didn’t like nor a dog he encountered that he didn’t want to play with. Sam demanded attention, exercise, love, and positive energy. He was aware of all moods and worked tirelessly to lift spirits.

Sam was single, never married and never fathered any puppies (that we know of).

Sam is survived by his two parents, seven siblings, one angry Magpie that can now have his food and 214 Facebook friends. In lieu of flowers or meat snacks Sam requested you let your dog inside the house during this heat wave, give him plenty of water and, if your dog is a boy, introduce him to a girl now and then.

Farewell our faithful, beloved friend.
Posted in Family Life
Views 804 Comments 6
Total Comments 6

Comments

1. Old Comment
    So sorry to hear this Jeff. Praying for your family.
  2. Old Comment
  3. Old Comment
    Rest in peace, Sam. You were a good friend and family member.
  4. Old Comment
    Very sorry for your loss, Jeff. You will all be in my prayers.
    Posted 07-03-2013 at 07:05 AM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is online now
  5. Old Comment
    So very sorry for you and your family's loss, Jeff. You guys will be in my prayers.
  6. Old Comment
    So sorry to hear of your great loss.
    Posted 07-27-2013 at 09:48 PM by caninemomssister caninemomssister is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award