Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,092
Threads: 53,938
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,012)
Welcome to our newest member, Sandy Horton
My name is Ron, I am a Christmas nut always have been always will be. I am first and foremost a stay at home dad that has an evening job at a retail/grocery establishment. After my second son was born I stepped down from my management position, so my wife and I don't have to pay for daycare. My wife is a teacher in the town we live, so people recognize us everywhere in our little town.
My wife and I have been married for 9 years. We have 2 boys aged 6 and 3, both are young Christmas nuts.

I have loved Christmas as long as I remember
from seeing the lights on all the houses, to seeing if I could stay awake to see Santa.
Christmas has been the one constant in my life it has always been there for me, through the rough times of my parents divorce when I was 10 y/o or my mother's passing when I was 16.
Everyone always tried to make it something special for myself and sister when we were young no matter what was going on. I now believe that is why I love this time of year more than any other because of the efforts of my family to hold it above any other time of year. I get to make the season special for my boys now, whether it be by playing the music decorating the house and yard or just playing the dvd's. The memories the season has brought have always warm and it is no wonder why I look forward to making more of these memories every year. My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story my favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night. My favorite Christmas artist is Bing Crosby.
Well if I ran on a little bit I am sorry I am new to blogging, it sounds always better in your mind.
I will try to keep posting and making it interesting for all who read.
Rate this Entry

Tornado Nightmare

Submit "Tornado Nightmare" to Digg Submit "Tornado Nightmare" to del.icio.us Submit "Tornado Nightmare" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tornado Nightmare" to Google
Posted 06-02-2011 at 10:54 PM by xmas365

I write this tonight as exhausted as I am, but an emotional wreck. As some if not all of you know by now my town was hit by a tornado, at most the damage was 1.5 miles away at it farthest, 2 houses down the closest. I was not home at the time it happened, I was at work when I heard of a tornado warning, I wasn't thinking anything of it at the time, in fact a few co-workers and myself were joking about it. The upper management called a meeting to explain what was going on, and what we were to do if we got word a tornado was bearing down on us. 20 minutes later we get the word to evacuate the staff and customers to the back of the store. I had tried to call my wife before that to warn her of a tornado warning had been posted, I tried to get through but all I got was a recorded message saying all circuits were busy, until I got through and left a message on our voicemail. We were standing in the back of the store, when we started getting rumors from people with cellphone texts that Monson had been hit, when my wife called the store and told me what had happened how they got hail and then her and the boys heard a "truck" coming but they never saw the truck never came. My wife then realized it was a tornado bearing down on the house. She grabbed the boys and brought them to the basement and held fort there until the sound was gone. I started to freak out at work at that point but we weren't given the all clear yet, I was so worried about my family at that point, my bosses asked me if I wanted to leave, but I didn't want to leave before the all clear. Then more rumors came in that the grocery store in the center of my town had been destroyed, I nearly lost it at that point, my father works there. Finally after 45 minutes of being huddled together with friends and strangers we got the all clear, and I left as quick as I could. Driving home quickly but cautiously not knowing what I was going to run into, I made it home in a driving rainstorm, my boys say me pull into the driveway they were so happy to see me. The rain stopped and I went downtown by myself to get a grip on what happened, and to see if I could find info about my father. I walked not even a quarter mile when I saw the devastation the trees shredded broken them like toothpicks. The church steeple destroyed fallen, houses covered with trees, a car thrown against a tree, and in the distance it looked like a warzone. I took pictures of the lost history of this town and went home. My wife had gotten word from my sister in South Carolina that my dad was ok they went into the cooler and stayed there until it was over. The night was spent in a dark warm house. One of our friends couldn't get to his house he slept over, but all throughout the night we heard sirens, trucks. My wife was worried all night, it was so surreal.

We were awakened before 5am by the sounds of helicopters flying overhead, we went outside to make sure our house was fine, which it was and then proceeded to walk downtown, the sights we saw the devastation, people digging through piles which use to be their homes. Neighborhoods have been wiped out, people crying strangers making sure everyone was ok, looking like they wanted to hug anyone they could. Things I have seen today and last night I will NEVER forget, most of which I was not ready to see, the carnage, the sense of loss yet the feeling of friendship and kinship people helping and listening. Our lives up here in my little town have been forever altered, the loss of history here could hardly be replaced. But with no loss of life we were lucky and/or blessed. Schools are closed for the foreseeable future, the kids will need school to get a sense of normalcy again. Our governor Deval Patrick, Senators John Kerry, and Scott Brown, U.S. Rep Richard Neal were all here touring. State of Emergency was declared last night. But we will rebuild this town, we will be together in this. We just need to get through this initial shock.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1889 Comments 5
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Ron, I am sure the nightmare of what you and your family are going through and have come through will never leave you. I am so glad as are all your Christmas family that you and yours are okay. We are here for you if you need us. You will be in our hearts and our thoughts. xo
  2. Old Comment
    Ron as caninemom says - I really cant imagine what you, your family and town as a whole have gone through and the amount of strength it will take to get things back up and running again. But we are here for you and you have been in our thoughts over the past few days. I really wish I could do more to help - please let us know if there is anything at all.
  3. Old Comment
    Do keep us posted. It is gripping to read your experience, your reactions and raw emotions. I so appreciate your candor. There is much to be learned from what you have gone through. All the best to you, your family and your neighbors.
  4. Old Comment
    god bless you and your family xxx
  5. Old Comment
    I just read this today - and I cannot even immagine what that must have been like for you and your family....although you've helped me somewhat understand through your words. You brought tears to m eyes, Ron. I am so sorry this happened in your town - and on the same note I am so grateful that you and your family are okay!!! God bless you!!!
    Posted 08-02-2011 at 03:26 PM by ChristmasHeart ChristmasHeart is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award