Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,442
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Christmas Tree
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:30 PM
63,324 Views  0 Posts
A Parent's Night Before...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:41 PM
40,375 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Controversies
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:27 PM
50,492 Views  0 Posts
How does Santa get...
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:49 PM
51,772 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in Mexico
By MMc Editor
06-02-2002 09:17 PM
43,263 Views  0 Posts
My name is Ron, I am a Christmas nut always have been always will be. I am first and foremost a stay at home dad that has an evening job at a retail/grocery establishment. After my second son was born I stepped down from my management position, so my wife and I don't have to pay for daycare. My wife is a teacher in the town we live, so people recognize us everywhere in our little town.
My wife and I have been married for 9 years. We have 2 boys aged 6 and 3, both are young Christmas nuts.

I have loved Christmas as long as I remember
from seeing the lights on all the houses, to seeing if I could stay awake to see Santa.
Christmas has been the one constant in my life it has always been there for me, through the rough times of my parents divorce when I was 10 y/o or my mother's passing when I was 16.
Everyone always tried to make it something special for myself and sister when we were young no matter what was going on. I now believe that is why I love this time of year more than any other because of the efforts of my family to hold it above any other time of year. I get to make the season special for my boys now, whether it be by playing the music decorating the house and yard or just playing the dvd's. The memories the season has brought have always warm and it is no wonder why I look forward to making more of these memories every year. My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story my favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night. My favorite Christmas artist is Bing Crosby.
Well if I ran on a little bit I am sorry I am new to blogging, it sounds always better in your mind.
I will try to keep posting and making it interesting for all who read.
Rate this Entry

Santa Claus & Me

Submit "Santa Claus & Me" to Digg Submit "Santa Claus & Me" to del.icio.us Submit "Santa Claus & Me" to StumbleUpon Submit "Santa Claus & Me" to Google
Posted 12-07-2010 at 10:40 PM by xmas365
Updated 12-08-2010 at 07:14 AM by xmas365

I recently touched on my youth beliefs in Santa in the thread "Parents Don't Want Their Kids to Know of Santa Claus" I would like to delve into that subject a little more.
As I said I believed in Santa a long time, well into my teen years maybe I should have seen the writing on the wall, but I truly believed, to the point where I would argue with my cousins he did exist. My early childhood was the Rockwellian vision of the perfect American family, Mom, Dad, and a little sister and a dog and cat, we had a little ranch house everything was picture perfect in the eyes of a boy of under 8 years old. Much like it is now for me I could not wait for Christmas, once I started seeing those Time/Life Treasury of Christmas Record commercials in September I started to get psyched for Christmas. We always had a real tree and we would let the branches "fall" outside overnight before decorating it, I always hated that, I wanted to decorate right then and there. Then the focus was what do I want to tell Santa I want for Christmas, I would go through the Wish Books, picking out everything that looked cool, which a lot I ended up getting, but a couple really stick in my mind, I remember wanting Donkey Kong for the Atari 2600, and that is all I wanted, I still remember as I was falling asleep on Christmas Eve repeating "Please Santa bring me Donkey Kong" over and over, I remember opening a bunch of gifts but I got it! I was so happy. A few years later Voltron was what I wanted the 5 lions made by Matchbox and die cast metal, I opened my gifts and my mother had it hidden a la the Red Ryder BB gun "whats that in the corner" trick. That was the coolest toy I ever had. But Santa and I had a relationship he was the best, and nobody ever told me he did not exist, I knew he was real. My parents went through their divorce, I was devastated life never mind Christmas was never going to be the same for me, I struggled with many things as a 9 year old whose parents were no longer together, I was forbidden to blame my struggles on the divorce because my mother did not want to hear that, I struggled in school, with friends and at home, I never wanted to be there anymore it was to depressing, but when Christmas was coming, Santa would make it better, I remember asking him for my parents to get back together, even though I knew he wouldn't be able to, Santa came through with things that are long forgotten in my memories now but at that time were able to help through that rough time.
Santa always came through, he was even there when I was 15 years old, and had the flu on Christmas Day, at the time I had no idea it would be my last with my mother, but the gifts were from Santa, it was on the tags, Santa still came that year, I still feel I kept my mother from her parents that year because I was sick and we weren't able to go for Christmas day at my grandparents. Less than 3 months later breast cancer had taken my mother at the too young of an age 36.
Santa would lay dormant in my mind, while I dealt with that pain, I remember the next Christmas while all the family was together I snuck off to hide in the bathroom and cried about not being with my mom.
I moved in with my grandparents in Feb. 1992 after living with my aunt & uncle for a year, and my grandma had (still has) a Santa Claus collection, I thought it was so great, I would look at them all the time because they were/are displayed year round, my grandma loves Christmas as much as I do, we grew very close to the common bound of Santa Claus, I started giving her a new Santa every year, ones that commemorated special events, like Y2K, to my first son being born, etc... It was our thing we had together, I am so lucky to have a great relationship with her, and she is always so proud of the way I turned out.
So I can say the greatest gift Santa Claus has given me is the relationship with my grandmother.

Thank you Santa Claus! You really do exist!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1385 Comments 4
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Bravo, and amen.
  2. Old Comment
    [B]I agree with Mr. Westover. Bravo to you Ron !! What sweet memories. Thank you for sharing them. You are such an amazing writer. You know what, though ? I still believe in Santa to this day in some ways though I am the old age of 56 !! Nobody can EVER take him from me. xo[/B]
  3. Old Comment
    That was beautiful!
  4. Old Comment
    Nice. Well said!

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award