Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > caninemom3 » In Memory Of, A Thanksgiving Tribute

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,233
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,523)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333
Rate this Entry

In Memory Of, A Thanksgiving Tribute

Submit "In Memory Of, A Thanksgiving Tribute" to Digg Submit "In Memory Of, A Thanksgiving Tribute" to del.icio.us Submit "In Memory Of, A Thanksgiving Tribute" to StumbleUpon Submit "In Memory Of, A Thanksgiving Tribute" to Google
Posted 11-08-2011 at 09:46 PM by caninemom3

Thanksgiving is traditionally a day of family, feast and football ! It was always that way with our family. What a wonderful time and wonderul season. Each year on Thanksgiving we would all gather at my parents' home and catch up with one another, laugh, joke and of course enjoy all the scrumptious delights my mother had prepared for the feast.

I saw my parents quite often throughout the rest of the year but on Thanksgiving they both seemed different somehow. You see, Thanksgiving Day marked the beginning of Christmas Season for our family.

My parents both adored Christmas. They turned into giddy little children at Christmastime and it was not unusual when one went shopping with them for Christmas gifts for them to "ooh" and "ahhh" over each beautifully decorated store and display that they saw.

One Thanksgiving was different.

My dear brother Andy had passed away during the Summer of 1977 at the age of 31.

I cannot imagine how my parents felt. I only knew how I felt. Lost. Confused. I missed him so much as we were best friends.

My parents had lost a child. That must be one of the most devastating losses anyone could face.

We decided as a family to still carry on with Thanksgiving and Christmas the best we could. The year of 1977 we were going to all think of some way to remember our Andy at Thanksgiving dinner.

We all gathered as usual. My parents were trying to keep up a brave front for each other and for us. The three of us siblings huddled together on the same couch as if we didn't want to leave each other's sides. We all helped our mom get the meal prepared and ready.

We set the table and made sure to put a full place sitting in Andy's spot. When it was time to have our feast after saying grace, we all said something in honor of Andy. How much he meant to us. How he meant different things to each of us. How we were truly blessed and thankful to have had him as part of our lives and how losing him had made us so thankful to still have each other.

Every year I think back on that Thanksgiving. I think it was really important for us as a family to acknowledge our loss and love for Andy but even more important to remember to be thankful each and every day for the family and the love we still have.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3712 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    What a very touching story, Louanne. So sorry that your family had to endure this pain, but it's great that you guys came together as one unit and were able to really show each other so much love. God Bless You!
  2. Old Comment
    Thank you for share such a special time in your life. You are so right, I bet Andy is still at everyone of your Thanksgiving dinners. I believe the ones we love are never truly that far from us. Bless you CM3 ((((((((HUGS))))))))

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award