Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > Christmas, Life, and Family » 2011, Good Riddance!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,438
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,755)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
How to Make Craft...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:04 PM
44,067 Views  0 Posts
The Legends of Nature at...
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:54 PM
46,220 Views  0 Posts
The Bishop's Wife (Movie...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:05 PM
0 Posts
The Nutcracker
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:34 PM
50,165 Views  0 Posts
How Santa Does It
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:19 PM
46,431 Views  0 Posts
My name is Ron, I am a Christmas nut always have been always will be. I am first and foremost a stay at home dad that has an evening job at a retail/grocery establishment. After my second son was born I stepped down from my management position, so my wife and I don't have to pay for daycare. My wife is a teacher in the town we live, so people recognize us everywhere in our little town.
My wife and I have been married for 9 years. We have 2 boys aged 6 and 3, both are young Christmas nuts.

I have loved Christmas as long as I remember
from seeing the lights on all the houses, to seeing if I could stay awake to see Santa.
Christmas has been the one constant in my life it has always been there for me, through the rough times of my parents divorce when I was 10 y/o or my mother's passing when I was 16.
Everyone always tried to make it something special for myself and sister when we were young no matter what was going on. I now believe that is why I love this time of year more than any other because of the efforts of my family to hold it above any other time of year. I get to make the season special for my boys now, whether it be by playing the music decorating the house and yard or just playing the dvd's. The memories the season has brought have always warm and it is no wonder why I look forward to making more of these memories every year. My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story my favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night. My favorite Christmas artist is Bing Crosby.
Well if I ran on a little bit I am sorry I am new to blogging, it sounds always better in your mind.
I will try to keep posting and making it interesting for all who read.
Rate this Entry

2011, Good Riddance!

Submit "2011, Good Riddance!" to Digg Submit "2011, Good Riddance!" to del.icio.us Submit "2011, Good Riddance!" to StumbleUpon Submit "2011, Good Riddance!" to Google
Posted 12-28-2011 at 09:31 PM by xmas365
Tags 2011, recap, year

As the year is winding down to it's final 3 days, I have been thinking about what kind of year it has been. It was a year that started off pretty lousy with me getting sick around my birthday, I was out of work sick for four days, and during that time I was on this site on the Christmas Countdown when I learned U.S. Representative Gabby Giffords and others had been involved in a horrible act of violence by a sick young man. I was horrified at what I was seeing. Then a few days later, we were hit with a blizzard that dumped over 30 inches of snow on us, missing yet another day of work and seeing snow piled 4 feet deep in my front yard. Then it was pretty quiet for a little while, in February, I was promoted ending my time as Mr. Mom, and had to adjust to life getting up bright and early. It has been a good and bad thing with the promotion, as I have had to deal with more than I ever had to before, and learn to "put out fires" quickly. Spring came, we had a great Easter, but started watching the news with the horrible weather, especially tornadoes, devastating parts of this country. But I live in New England, we don't get weather like that here. May was a great month, a very sunny month beautiful weather up to Memorial Day, we had our first cookout with friends and family, great day great food. The next day I was with my son, since his daycare was closed, we drove around my town, looking for the rumored "lost" amusement park, we never found it but we saw things of beauty driving around heavily wooded areas. The next day would be June 1, almost halfway to Christmas, it was a Wednesday, a beautiful sunny day, my late day to work, little did I know my life was going to be changed forever a little after 4 hours after I went to work. I was at work when I heard we were under a tornado warning, myself and a bunch of guys from work were joking around about it, oooooo a tornado, we had had tornado warnings many times before but nothing ever materialized, so it was natural to joke about it. My supervisors called a meeting on what to do if a tornado was coming, at that point I knew it was serious and tried to call my wife, all I got was "all circuits are busy at this time," I had never heard that before, I was nervous, very nervous. We got the word to evacuate to the rear of the store, and that is where I started to hear from people that certain things in my town "were gone" I was so scared, my wife called me and let me know that they were safe, but they heard "the noise" of a truck or a train bearing down on them, my house was safe, as it just missed us, if we looked out of our front windows we would have seen the monster tornado going down the mountain, less than 1/4 mile the devastation was unbelievable. We had so many friends and family lose everything from this beast, the town lost some buildings that were over 100 years old, and the beautiful wooded lands that myself and LC had driven through the day before were wiped out. The tornado was 1/2 mile wide as it went through the center of my town. The things I saw and witnessed are forever etched in my mind, including the surrealistic sounds of 3 maybe 4 helicopters surveying the damage at 5:30am at daybreak. Most of June is a blur, dealing with the tornado aftermath, our July 4th celebration was canceled, and soon afterward we went to the beach for the day, came home turned the TV on to find that we were under another tornado warning, the kids were scared senseless, as we had to go into the basement as the news said it is following the same path as June 1st. The clouds were menacing, and there was some swirling clouds but nothing here, but the town next door where I went to high school got hit with a microburst that caused significant damage in the same area where the tornado passed a month before. The summer of discontent was almost over, as it never got on track for us, now as August was coming to a close we had to deal with Hurricane Irene bearing down on us, it was a lot of rain and some wind here, but nothing significant but a flooded basement. It was over, the summer from hell. The school year began, nothing but the usual days, until Halloween came, the boys were excited, but once again Mother Nature strikes back at us, October 29, we get hit with a freak early season snowstorm, that knocked out most of my towns power for 5-7days, Halloween was canceled , and we huddled up in a cold house until our power came back. After that it was smooth sailing, Thanksgiving was great, and the Christmas season was it's beautiful season it always is, even though I didn't get everything decorated until later than I liked but the house was done and will be lit up until the second week of January. Christmas was awesome, and I already look forward to next year.

2011 was a great year for learning, stress, anxiety, and Mother Nature's fury. I never want to go through a year like this again, life has been forever altered in this little town, we will never take a tornado warning lightly again. We are thankful for what we have, and what we could have lost. 2011 you taught us a lot, now may you rest in peace.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1325 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Xmas, this was a great blog, a year in review. I have lived through tornadoes so I know what it can do to a town, on the flip side, reading your post as an "outsider", it filled me with hope, for reading this I get the sense that your town came together and helped each other out, that you stood by each other gave a hand. Sometimes we ask why it happened, or why us, these are things I cannot answer or anyone I guess but now reading this it shows me even though you wrote of horrible things happening, I am getting the feeling good things came of it... That congress woman, she will never be the same but she is getting better, your family huddled in a cold house together at least you all weren't alone, you have love and it com,es though. Yes 2011 was hard for your town, but it has now made you stronger and dare I say closer?
  2. Old Comment
    Perhaps the year 2011 wasn't so bad for me afterall. Thanks for sharing your year in review so openly. I always look on the bright side of things and believe that out of something bad comes something good. Wishing you and yours a year that is memorable for all the right reasons.
    Festive Regards,
    Auntie M.
    Posted 01-01-2012 at 05:02 PM by AuntieMistletoeDear AuntieMistletoeDear is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award