Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > caninemom3 » Christmas In My Hometown

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,088
Threads: 53,915
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,650)
Welcome to our newest member, MGunderso
Rate this Entry

Christmas In My Hometown

Submit "Christmas In My Hometown" to Digg Submit "Christmas In My Hometown" to del.icio.us Submit "Christmas In My Hometown" to StumbleUpon Submit "Christmas In My Hometown" to Google
Posted 03-27-2012 at 07:40 PM by caninemom3

I live in a small town in Ohio. Massillon at one time was a very, very busy steel town. My father and a lot of my school friends' fathers worked right here at Republic Steel.

Christmas was in those days and still is an event to remember, from a small town perspective that is. We did not have and do not have the fancy hi-tech floats for our Christmas parade like Macy's has. We had and still have home town folks who decorate their cars and trucks with Christmas themes and then all ride through the main street of town and throw candy to all the kids who are on the sidelines waiting for Santa while also trying to promote their businesses.

Christmas music rings clearly through the air and no matter how cold it gets, nobody's spirit drops. It is the same parade now as when I was a little girl. My mother and father would bring me to the parade to see Santa himself. When at last the time came for Santa to appear I like all the little kids today who come to the parade was in awe !
There he was at last !! On a makeshift sleigh with pretend reindeer but still it was him, the real guy, not a stand in. I knew it then just as well as the kids know now. After Santa has come there is still the Christmas party at The Lincoln Theatre and also another visit from Santa !

At the Christmas party there is a kid friendly movie and lots of yummy Christmas treats, singing of carols and a lot of love and togehterness, a real feeling of community. The Lincoln theatre has been in Massillon longer than I can remember and it is still doing just fine.

Later on in the Season there is again a gathering of town folk for the annual Christmas walk about. We all meet at one of the churches here and have a specific route we walk where we visit everyone on the way wishing them Merry Christmas, visiting all the churches on the way and share lots of fellowship and then all gather back at the original destination where the walk began. We carry candles and sometimes even sing and then all go to the lighting of the Christmas tree.

We do not all know one another, at least by name like the folks do in It's A Wonderful Life, but there is a definite connection between all of us who participate in these events every year. We may not be sophisticated but we know Christmas and as travelers on the same road especially at Christmas we do our best every year to make sure everyone knows this wondrous and miraculous season and all its wonders the way we do by sharing with one another and especially by sharing of ourselves with those less fortunate than we.

Massillon is not a rich town, not by any means but it is my home. At Christmastime, however, when it is all decorated with its somewhat old decorations you would swear it is Bedford Falls. The only thing that makes it more magical is when it snows. We even have a a building and loan which has been here forever. I bet if you look really close, you can almost see Mr. Bailey running through the streets shouting as loudly as he can MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1188 Comments 2
« Exhaustion     Main     A Love Story »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    It sounds like a wonderul place to live. You're a lucky girl, Louanne!
  2. Old Comment
    your town sounds like a great place! thanks for sharing it w/ us!
    Posted 03-28-2012 at 01:01 PM by merrymistletoe merrymistletoe is offline

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award