Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » Movin' on Up, Moving on In...

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,977
Threads: 53,463
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,699)
Welcome to our newest member, SnowflakeMom
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Angel or the Star?
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:45 PM
Last post by Stnicholas01
07-18-2013 01:57 PM
50,092 Views  1 Posts
The Santa Clause 2...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:11 PM
0 Posts
santahat Light on a Snowy Day
By MMC Editor
11-07-2011 07:41 AM
0 Posts
Homemade for the Holidays
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:31 PM
48,160 Views  0 Posts
The Art of Wassail
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:19 PM
43,963 Views  0 Posts
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

Movin' on Up, Moving on In...

Submit "Movin' on Up, Moving on In..." to Digg Submit "Movin' on Up, Moving on In..." to del.icio.us Submit "Movin' on Up, Moving on In..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Movin' on Up, Moving on In..." to Google
Posted 07-08-2012 at 11:40 AM by Jeff Westover

It has been a time of unprecedented change for us. But things are starting to look up after what has admittedly been a horrific year.

Here's the outside of our new country home...

This home is located some 100 miles from our home of the past 12 years. It is located in the country, some 2 miles away from a Pepperidge Farms facility that manufactures fishies (my kids insist this is an important detail and "new feature" in their lives).

It is a pretty drastic change from our humble little city track home. We're leaving a community of 90,000 in a suburb of Salt Lake City for a tiny farming community of 2,400. The absence of traffic noise, the presence of country aromas (cows), and the brilliance of the stars at night are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the change this is for us.

The house has a very park-like setting...

We have five acres of lawn, pasture, orchards and weeds. My 16-year-old-anxious-to-drive-daughter has already mastered the riding lawnmower...and has spared me those duties. But make no mistake: this place is so big I'll have no choice but to do my share of weeding, planting and harvesting.

These pictures were taken on a semi-rainy day in May when my girls got a chance to see the place for the first time. When the kids spied the horse out back they gasped. My ten year old asked, "Is that a unicorn, Dad?"

The horse was just a temporary visitor. The pasture now awaits the arrival of Sam, our border collie who has no idea yet what is coming.

Seeing the house and beginning to move our things into it has taken the edge off of the sting of all this change. My three adult children have all "visited" (during Father's Day weekend) and each has claimed their little corners of the new homestead.

This is the back of the house:

The house was built in the late 1970s and was modeled after the Langford home in San Francisco. In our days of house-hunting I came to call this the Adam's Family House because of it's design. For some reason it just screams Halloween to me, an assessment my 20-year old daughter, who is the resident Halloween freak, agrees with. She has big plans for Halloween...and she won't even be residing with us in this home.

This is the living room....where all of our Christmas action takes place. This room will be filled with sofas, recliners, lights and stockings to be hung with care on that mantle to the left.

This area is in extreme Northern Utah, very nearly in Idaho, and it gets cold here. Sub-zero temps are pretty standard in the winter here as are occasional prodigious snows. That nook at the end of the living room is called the "sun room", one of those glass-enclosed additions that will provide growing space in the dull days of winter and a feature that floods this room with light. Given the immensity of the yard I'm not sure yet if we'll get to actually growing things in this room this winter.

However, the thought was forwarded that we could set up a large Christmas tree in the dead center of it and put the train and the village on the floor all around it. That would make a spectacular showcase from inside and outside of the house come Christmas time. The idea intrigues me.

Of course, for a much sparkle as that would add, it wouldn't replace the family tree that will go in the living room. And that discussion has been had already many times.

As of this writing we're smack in the middle of our move. Our old home is now mostly empty, only a few unwanted items remain and several weeks of repairs and painting await us as we close things out. The new house is oddly empty too...or at least feels that way in many respects...because we haven't had the time or the money to do all to it we want. It remains a vision.

Much like our future the house is filled with potential. It is exciting. It is scary. And it is our way of life right now.
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    [B][I]Jeff it is so beautiful !!! I pray there are lots of good times for you here in the future !! xo[/I][/B]
  2. Old Comment
    Good Luck to you and your family, and this is one beautiful place can't wait to see what you do it for Christmas.
  3. Old Comment
    love the house, especially the idea of putting a tree and village in the sun room!
    My brother lives in a home on 5 acres of land, took them several years to get the house looking like they wanted. They raise their own meat (cows and chickens) of which I get the benefits of from time to time!
    Praying everything settles down for you and your time of healing, rest and rejuvenation now take place.
  4. Old Comment
    A beautiful place! Please keep us posted on developments--- and please post photos when it's decorated for Christmas! I hope things start going easier for you as you complete your move.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award