Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » The Heart of the Christmas Fan

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 53,976
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,477)
Welcome to our newest member, TAlbritto
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

The Heart of the Christmas Fan

Submit "The Heart of the Christmas Fan" to Digg Submit "The Heart of the Christmas Fan" to del.icio.us Submit "The Heart of the Christmas Fan" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Heart of the Christmas Fan" to Google
Posted 10-17-2012 at 10:22 PM by Jeff Westover

Some times this job is just too sweet.

I love this time of year because it is when the Christmas fanatic comes out of the woodwork. And I usually learn a lot more about Christmas when they do.

Don't get me wrong: there are year round Christmas crazies out there. Christmas never really goes away for those of us who love it so much. But sometimes people are afraid to show it because there is a loud and opinionated minority out there that mocks someone who walks a block out of their way to see a lighted Christmas tree.

But there's something about October. The fans come out and begin to share those things that makes Christmas work for them. And there are so many specialties out there.

Take, for example, the story of Lou, shared over at our new site at ShowUsYourChristmas.com. His love of Christmas drove him to festively decorate a 50-foot trailer in lights and decor and hit the road in the dead of winter dressed as Santa to bring a little Christmas cheer to kids out in the countryside.

Or, consider one of our members, Ghostofanidea -- just another fan of Christmas pursuing his Christmas passions online.

Or maybe it is one of our many friends in the Santa community, found mostly over at Clausnet.com. These are some extraordinary Christmas folks. So dedicated to playing a role where their sole purpose is to make children happy.

What else but Christmas can cause this?

It gives me hope in these difficult times.

Perhaps it is the contentious election season (and those who know me know what a political creature I am who normally loves the exchange of ideas -- I'm not loving it this year).

Or perhaps it is just the difficult times we are living in. Some times I get so overwhelmed with the trials I am seeing so many going through right now -- financial difficulties, marriage troubles, fights with breast cancer, loss of loved ones to disease or accident, families torn apart by addiction -- the list goes on and on.

It cheers me mightily to be in such close contact with those who come forward to share what it is about Christmas they love so much.

There are many amongst us and I think sometimes we take them for granted.

Folks like Crown who keeps alive a simple tradition of counting down to Christmas.

Or people like Merry Carey, whose many talents are freely given whether on the podcasts or here on the forums.

Or Maureen, who sacrifices times and energy a half a world away to help keep things running here with our merry family.

Think of Radio JonD or JayIsh, and their love of Christmas music in particular and what a wonderful thing that has brought us at Merry Christmas Radio.

I can tell you how much this adds to the enjoyment I get from doing this.

I've shared with some people but not many the news that 2012 has been another rough year for me personally and for my family and that in turn has led to some tough times here for My Merry Christmas.

But I rally behind those who are here because in their hearts they are Christmas fans first.

It makes each season, no matter how dark the gathering clouds might be, something to look forward to and to enjoy.

My family doesn't really understand what it is I do here. I'm not sure sometimes that my kids get it entirely either.

But the evidence of what it does for my spirit is abundant. And I thank you all for that.
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Hi Jeff

Thank you so much for this great text. I wish you and your family a great christmas season. Hopefully your rough year will end in a great way.

Best Regards

Ceta
  2. Old Comment
    Jeff your words are a true fitting to this wonderful place you have given us all! thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will keep you & your family in my prayers. God bless you.
    Posted 10-18-2012 at 05:01 AM by merrymistletoe merrymistletoe is offline
  3. Old Comment
    We have so many great people who love Christmas on this wonderful site and everyone does such a great job! You're right - it's in the hearts of all these people. Keep up the good work, everyone!

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award