Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > lauriebear » A January Christmas

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,441
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Somewhere in France
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:14 PM
50,322 Views  0 Posts
Mistletoe
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:16 PM
51,485 Views  0 Posts
The Angel Twin
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:42 PM
Last post by lauriebear
08-17-2011 01:52 PM
52,124 Views  2 Posts
Candygold Affordable Homemade...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:33 PM
51,518 Views  0 Posts
Santa Speaks 2000
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 10:54 PM
43,686 Views  0 Posts
Rate this Entry

A January Christmas

Submit "A January Christmas" to Digg Submit "A January Christmas" to del.icio.us Submit "A January Christmas" to StumbleUpon Submit "A January Christmas" to Google
Posted 01-28-2013 at 01:30 PM by lauriebear
Updated 01-28-2013 at 01:32 PM by lauriebear (add category)

I was going through some old letters and cards that were in a draw. As I was doing this of course I stopped and read a few, one really caught my attention though, from a neighbor that passed away. It was a little sad and a whole lot glad. I hadn't remembered this letter and couldn't believe my luck at finding it. She wrote, "Dear Laurie, I wanted to thank you for the brownies this past Christmas, it was so nice of you to remember me. It brought back lovely memories of days spent baking with my daughters. One thing we did was bake Christmas Cookies in January. Every January we would set a day aside and gather around to bake and talk. I started this in 1965 when Mindy was 4, and Carol was 9. We so enjoyed having a little Christmas in January that we continued to do it for many years. I do not quite remember when we stopped, but life soon got in the way, I called my girls today and we have a Christmas in January set up for next week, I have you and your lovely brownies to thank. I will be sure to save you a few cookies. With the warmest of wishes for a Happy Christmas, Louise" This letter was sent to me in 2008 (yes a while since I cleaned out the letter draw I guess LOL). Sadly Louise passed away in August of that same year, a little unexpected. Yes, she did save me a few of the cookies, they were very tasty that I remember, I actually cried a little, but not because I was sad, because I realized that my brownie reunited a tradition (even only if it was for that day) of a family that now her "girls" had a valuable memory of their mothers last Christmas in January. I decided then and there I would have my own, it will be on Friday, 1/31. I called a few girlfriends and we are all getting together. I love how something as simple as cleaning out a letter draw brought such a wonderful turn of events. I decided to dedicate this January Christmas to Louise, I sure hope she sees us and it bring her joy. I miss my friend, my neighbor, now I will be able to keep her memory alive, hopefully my girlfriends will do this with there families, who knows where it can lead too. We may see January Christmas popping up all over.

I wish I knew Louise's daughters last names, or had a way to contact them, I sure would love them to have a copy of this letter. I asked the couple who bought the condo from Louise's family if they still had a way to get in touch so I hope that pans out. I cannot believe how such a small thing like giving brownies to someone can brighten a day. I hope you all get a plate of "brownies" and it brightens your day.

Here's to celebrating A January Christmas, won't you join me?
Views 715 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    This sounds like such a lovely tradition. Be sure to let us know if you were able to make contact with Louise's daughters and how your Christmas in January goes !! Thank you for another wonderful blog. (((HUGS))) to you xo
  2. Old Comment
    CM3 - than you yes I was able too and I sent a copy to them both - it was so nice!

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award