Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » Thorns on the Mistletoe

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,087
Threads: 53,915
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,650)
Welcome to our newest member, DoYouHearWhatIHear
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

Thorns on the Mistletoe

Submit "Thorns on the Mistletoe" to Digg Submit "Thorns on the Mistletoe" to del.icio.us Submit "Thorns on the Mistletoe" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thorns on the Mistletoe" to Google
Posted 10-13-2008 at 12:10 AM by Jeff Westover

It is an election year and it proves just one thing: everyone has an opinion.

I recently had a site member quit in anger because politics was being discussed here and in particular my opinion was one he didn't appreciate. He said I was ruining his Christmas.

Ironically, in the Christmas Crew areas we had been holding discussions for weeks about whether or not we should allow political discourse on our forums.

I hate to lose a site member. But honestly my feeling is that if someone is so thin skinned to place responsibility at my door for ruining their Christmas they weren't going to last long here anyway.

And I completely disagree that politics should be a taboo subject here.

Truth be told, politics and Christmas are old bedfellows. In fact, the fabled War on Christmas is fueled by political agendas.

It is true in our day. It was true in the time of Christ. And it has even been true in the world of Santa Claus. Politics touches us all.

And we should talk about it --- just so long as we're civil, respectful and aware.

These forums are about Christmas first. Politics -- like food, like decor, like music, film and art -- is just one tiny chapter in the story of Christmas. It has a place. It can be discussed.

And if anyone really can't deal with that...well, I say Merry Christmas to you anyway.

But don't let it be a thorn on your mistletoe. Life is too short and we're all probably wrong when all is said and done.

But aren't the lights pretty?
Posted in Christmas
Views 1800 Comments 5
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Excellent!
  2. Old Comment
    how do your political views affect his Christmas in any way?
    Just bein a baby
  3. Old Comment
    Well, isn't it one's perogative to not participate in certain threads? There are plenty of other places to visit here in the forums!

Personally, I don't go too much for politics. The fact that there is a thread for it here bothers me not in the least! No one has forced me to go there though I've wandered there a few times.

Don't go much for political jokes either; too often they get elected!
  4. Old Comment
    I agree Mr. Westover.

Personally I feel we live in this world and can not help being affected by government, religion etc. Can't stick our head in the sand. And I avoid threads that are not of my character but that doesn't mean I should go in there and be nasty to everyone because they post in there.

Sadly celebrating Christmas is being attacked politically and will always be attacked. It seems when some people are unhappy, they can not stand it when others are happy.

Our words should edify the listener and that should be part of our character but with some it's easier to be nasty.

It's like the old saying goes, you can't please everybody, so don't even try.

I really appreciate this forum and thank all who are involved in making this a wonderful place to come and enjoy the holidays and fellowship.
  5. Old Comment
    Yes, the lights are very pretty.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award