Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > caninemom3 » My Magical Book

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,449
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,164)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Grandpa Got Run Over By...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:22 PM
63,843 Views  0 Posts
The Story of White...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 10:01 PM
43,542 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in Europe
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:21 PM
0 Posts
Candlemas
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:26 PM
52,517 Views  0 Posts
Gift for Men
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:42 PM
57,120 Views  0 Posts
Rate this Entry

My Magical Book

Submit "My Magical Book" to Digg Submit "My Magical Book" to del.icio.us Submit "My Magical Book" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Magical Book" to Google
Posted 03-01-2013 at 07:33 PM by caninemom3
Updated 03-13-2013 at 08:16 PM by caninemom3

Books are always magical to me. Through books I have been to many places and experienced many things that I otherwise would never have had the chance to. I have been to Tudor England in the court of Henry VIII as he ruled with all the earmarks of the true tyrant he was and who fell in "love" quicker than the weather changes. I have been to the Holy Land and witnessed the Savior's birth. I have journeyed far to Hogwarts School and watched a forlorn and rejected boy become a confident and strong young man battle the ultimate evil for what is right and good. I, myself have read over and over again the story of Ebeneezer Scrooge, a man so mean and miserly that even a blind man's dog ran from him. To my pleasant surprise through much persistence of others he finally achieved his reclamation to the nice person he had very well hidden deep inside.

Books mean so much to me words cannot describe. They have been my companions when I had none; they have been my friend when I was alone. They provided my mind with an arena so large and wide that even someone with an overactive imagination like mine could never be bored. However, there is one book that means more to me perhaps than any other on this earth.

It is one volume of a set of encyclopedias my father bought for my brothers and sister and I when we were little titled [I]The Book of Knowledge. [/I]In this particular volume there are Christmas stories and carols, poems and pictures. I can remember to this very day sitting on my mother's lap on cool Autumn and Winter days as she read aloud to me. I asked many questions as any child of 4 would and she always patiently answered them all over and over again without the slightest evidence that she was ever tired or would rather be doing something else. My mother enjoyed the stories as much as I and was like a little kid herself when it came to Christmas.

There are other sections too in this book that are not Christmas. Stories of how nature works, stories of animals, butterflies, stories of the great pyramids.

I learned my love for reading from my mother and my big sister and I find it very sad indeed that many of today's youth seem to be moving away from reading. Society has become so bent on instant gratification and to take time to read a book is becoming obsolete these days, but yet violent video games seem to be all the rage.

I suppose this just shows my age, but I tell you if I could travel in time it would be to those bygone days when I was just a baby sitting on my mother's lap, feeling calm, warm and secure and listening intently to her sweetly reading to her four year old about the many wonders of our world only a book can give.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 850 Comments 3
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    This pretty eerie, and I will tell you why--tomorrow!!!
  2. Old Comment
    That should have said, "This is pretty eerie."
  3. Old Comment
    A similar experience here---We had the full set of World Book Encyclopedia, and when I was little, I loved to pull out any volume and just browse through it, reading about anything that looked or sounded interesting. I also had 3 or 4 of the Tell Me Why books. I learned so much just by "following my nose" through the World Book. And my mom got a kick out of telling people, "She reads the encyclopedia!" Reading good books also teaches kids correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar, just by exposing them to it. Anyway, that's how I learned them without even realizing it.

Seawaters, don't be a tease. Tell us ALL why.

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award