Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » What is in the box?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,090
Threads: 53,930
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,803)
Welcome to our newest member, flockman02
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

What is in the box?

Submit "What is in the box?" to Digg Submit "What is in the box?" to del.icio.us Submit "What is in the box?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What is in the box?" to Google
Posted 10-14-2008 at 08:53 PM by Jeff Westover

I have been adjusting to a major job shift since June. It has me traveling a lot more. Since the end of May I have had just one full week at home. Tonight I write via laptop from Los Angeles.

My wife tells me that today we received a big box in the mail addressed to me.

That's very strange.

Like most traveling family guys I'm sometimes a stranger in my own home. When the phone rings it is never for me (I have teenagers).

My wife handles the bills and I rarely see anything from the mail box.

Our eldest daughter has long moved out but all her junk mail comes to my house. She gets more than I do.

So the receipt of the box today is unusual.

In the past my company had occasion to send things to my house. But that was when I didn't have a staffed office.

I've now got offices in Salt Lake City, Anaheim and San Francisco. If the company had mail, they wouldn't send it to my house because, well, I'm rarely home.

So who could be sending me a box?

My mother lives four miles away and if she had anything for me she'd just call me up and say "I got something for you, come get it."

So it's not from Mom.

My wife thought I ordered something. I told her I hadn't and asked her if she had ordered something. She's always ordering books for the kids, candles or other goodies associated with homeschooling.

But we cleared each other. Being broke has a way of keeping big boxes in the mail away. And we've been broke.

Who could be sending me a big box?

It can only be coming from someone in this world. That's the only thing I can think of.

I get occasional mail from emerging artists for play on Merry Christmas Radio. I love getting those CDs. But they are never in a box as big as is being described to me. (That would be a lot of CDs!).

This is, of course, driving the kids crazy. I must have had a dozen phone calls, emails and even text messages today: Dad, you got a box! What's in the box?

This is all giving me a very Christmasy feeling. There is just something magical about an unopened box that is simply addressed without a clue of who the sender is.

I'm tempted to just tell the kids to wait when I get home. I'm tempted to tell them it is a Christmas present.

But that would be torture -- for me.

The truth is, I can't wait to get home. There is a box there waiting for me with my name on it.

Santa lives!
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    So true. So true. There is something so magical about that mysterious box (or gift). Someone chose it for us. It always makes us curious! Please keep us posted. And enjoy your travels. San Francisco? Oh my God - how lucky you are!
  2. Old Comment
    Hey Jeff, what was in the box. lol.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award