Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » Sick of Silly Santas

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,099
Threads: 53,999
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,616)
Welcome to our newest member, CWilde
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

Sick of Silly Santas

Submit "Sick of Silly Santas" to Digg Submit "Sick of Silly Santas" to del.icio.us Submit "Sick of Silly Santas" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sick of Silly Santas" to Google
Posted 07-26-2010 at 09:16 PM by Jeff Westover
Updated 08-23-2010 at 09:56 PM by Jeff Westover

It has been a year to forget in the outside world of professional Santas.

It was about a year ago we had to deal with a group of traveling Santas who thought it was a good idea to visit a brothel museum dressed as Santa.

Then we endured a Santa & Mrs. Claus couple who ran a Santa convention. They hosted a big event then skipped town with all the money -- stiffing vendors, fellow Santas and the City of Gatlinburg, Tennessee at the same time.

And now we endure, as if on schedule, the yearly rant from a man who legally changed his name to Santa Claus in Lake Tahoe, California.

Last year this guy -- a monk, no less -- put out multiple press releases about a state-by-state capitol tour he was engaging in to scold state govenors about pushing more money towards children's issues.

Ok, we're good with that.

But we noticed that all his efforts seemed to be about him. He never raised a dime for kids and he sure seemed to like getting himself on television.

Even that doesn't bother me much but why in the world does he have to do it in the name of Santa Claus?

The real Santa would never do such a thing. He would never travel the world saying "this state is on the naughty list" like this imposter does.

He cries about children's issues but has he ever backed a bill? Has he ever raised a nickle for a kid with a need? Has he ever done anything other than to publicize himself?

Not that I've seen.

This year is no different from the Lake Tahoe Claus. This year -- he's a Bishop now -- he has decided it would be a good thing to attack the Pope.

Yes, that Pope.

Look, I'm no Catholic. But it seems to make little sense to me that a figure -- namely, Saint Nicholas of Myra -- who WAS Catholic -- would attack the Pope.

Saint Nicholas was at Nicea, home of the famed Nicean Creed, where the very divinity of Jesus Christ was debated. I hardly think the Nicholas of that time would approve of Santa Claus of Lake Tahoe, California today.

Yes, Pope Benedict is no Pope John Paul. The media reminds us of that all the time.

But must Santa Claus too?

I despise the abuse of children by Catholic priests as well.

But the Catholic Church has hardly cornered the market on such terrible crimes. Priests from nearly all denominations have, over time, proven to be guilty of such ugly things.

But Pope Benedict, like him or not, is a sacred figure to hundreds of millions of people all over the world. Santa Claus can't just come out and attack him without the world saying, "Hey, wait a minute there..."

This guy is, after all, a member of the clergy himself.

And he should know better.

But just wait. He'll be back next year with some new way to publicize himself -- and his websites and his diet book and his personal appearance fees, etc.

Personally, I'm sick of this exploitation of the good name of Santa Claus.

I would hope the world would educate themselves a little more before they don the red suit.

Santa -- the REAL Santa -- would never act the way these people are acting.

For every such dispicable abuse of Santa they create they bury the real history of a good man.

I'm sick of them.
Views 893 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    [B]Jeff, thank you for this wonderful blog. As a Catholic and a fellow human being I sincerely appreciate and agree with your thoughts here. The nerve of this guy !! Thanks again. You were spot on as always. [/B]
  2. Old Comment
    There's a long and ignoble tradition of people using good names to sell bad acts and ideas. We see it in everything from knock-off designer jeans to politics to the church.

Wars have been launched, inquisitions held, and lives taken by men who attribute their actions to the will of God. Presumably, this is the same God I know: one who taught that, above all, we should cherish peace, hope and love.

I guess if God's name be taken in vain, we should expect no gentler treatment for the venerable saint who embodies so many of the qualities we love about Christmas.

Take heart, Jeff. Charlatans may prey on the name of Santa Claus. They may make lists. They may wear the suit. But they will always lack the light and love of Christ, which gives the saint his glow.

No one ever mistakes shadow for light.

As I mentioned to someone earlier in the week, his light burns all the brighter for the shadows that surround it.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award