Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > caninemom3 » A Miraculous Day

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,228
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,420)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333
Rate this Entry

A Miraculous Day

Submit "A Miraculous Day" to Digg Submit "A Miraculous Day" to del.icio.us Submit "A Miraculous Day" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Miraculous Day" to Google
Posted 07-27-2010 at 02:01 PM by caninemom3
Tags stepson

On Sunday, July 25, a benefit was thrown to help my stepson, DJ and his girlfriend and their newborn baby. If some of you don't know, DJ was diagnosed with stage III Hodgkin's disease a few months ago and is undergoing treatment. At this point he is unable to work. He and his girlfriend recently had a wee one who also has problems. The little precious one was born with a condition called "gastroschisis" which means that part of the intestines were born OUTSIDE her body. Immediately upon being delivered via c-section, Haley was taken to Akron Children's Hospital. She is now doing well. She may even get to come home this week.

I approached attending the benefit with some fear and trepidation. I am uncomfortable meeting people and EXTREMELY EXTREMELY self conscious all the time. I did not feel as though I had anything to contribute and I was there to honor DJ even though honestly I have never been close to either of my stepchildren. My presence I felt was a show of unity and respect to him. This benefit was largely organized by my second husband and was largely muscians (like him) and bike folk and the like. Real trouble, I was POSITIVE. Being the eternal pessimist that I am, as I said, I just sat back and kind of waited for trouble. (Eeyore is my favorite !!) It never came. Many, many people came and donated for DJ and Sierra and Haley and no matter how they looked they behaved as angels. Now I know that the outside has nothing to do with what is one's heart. I just figured with the beer flowing freely that somebody would cross the line of respect and decency at one point or another. All the musicians there played their hearts out and all the bikers reveled in doing something for a good cause, in fact everyone did. Now, I know you don't know me, but I am somewhat misanthropic, meaning I do not particularly care for the human race even though I am a human. There have been too many hurts, too many nights crying myself to sleep because of other humans and also even some incidents of great fear after being attacked and even abducted and forced to do things against my will because of my naivety and the fact that I trusted. I actually sat back and got teary eyed watching, seeing time after time people enter, pay the $5.00 donation and then proceed to join in the fellowship of helping this young man, his girfriend and baby Haley. It was pure magic. It also restored my faith in human-kind somewhat. Nobody got out of line and all regarded each other with great dignity and acceptance. It was a truly miraculous day. I began to see, perhaps that all is not lost as far as us as a species. Perhaps there is still time for me to reassess and to have hope again for humans. For many years I have only trusted my faithful furry companions who know more about compassion than most people I have met. But Sunday has me thinking again. Maybe, just maybe there is still hope for the future....
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1114 Comments 3
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I am so glad every thing went well. I hope all this helps you trust again. It's hard to when you have been hurt so bad. Furry companions, I agree, are the most dependable offering unconditional love. =)
    Posted 07-27-2010 at 07:10 PM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is online now
  2. Old Comment
    Never underestimate the capacity of the human heart to love. It will surprise you every time.

Keeping you and yours in my prayers.

Hugs,
    jimmyolsen
  3. Old Comment
    Thank you for your blog. You always touch my heart!
    Posted 07-28-2010 at 07:06 PM by ChristmasHeart ChristmasHeart is offline

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award