Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > caninemom3 » A Sadness Of My Profession

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,438
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas with the...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:57 PM
55,749 Views  0 Posts
Mistletoe Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-23-2012 03:40 PM
34,006 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Sorting Out the Truth of...
By MMC Editor
11-09-2011 01:26 PM
57,370 Views  0 Posts
The Snow Maiden
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:51 PM
62,677 Views  0 Posts
Developing an Attitude...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:24 PM
45,143 Views  0 Posts
Rate this Entry

A Sadness Of My Profession

Submit "A Sadness Of My Profession" to Digg Submit "A Sadness Of My Profession" to del.icio.us Submit "A Sadness Of My Profession" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Sadness Of My Profession" to Google
Posted 08-05-2010 at 12:28 PM by caninemom3

I have been a medical transcriptionist for the last 16, nearly 17 years. This means that I listen to doctors dictate about patients and whatever may be ailing them. I type many of the medical specialities that are in existence. One of the specialties I type has to do with drug and alcohol addiction. Every now and again a patient's story gets to me. It should not, I know, as I do not know any of these folks but sometimes I get overwhelmingly empathetic. Today I typed a lady who was just 42 and a heroin addict. She also was a mother. She readily admitted to the doc that she was an addict and not ready to quit. I know some folks will feel that she makes and has made her own choices. I feel that way too to an extent but I still felt incredibly sad for her and her family. I have typed many reports like this over the course of time I have been employed in transcription. Why her ?? What was it about her story that bothers me so much ? I don't know. All I could do at one point was stop typing and touch her name on my screen and say prayers for her to Christ. I will never know what happens to her and perhaps that is good but I feel for people who get into things that they do not know how to get out of and are lost. I also feel a great deal of sympathy and empathy for patients who have cancer and also for their loved ones as I can personally relate to that situation and as I also type oncology. Sometimes all I can do once again is touch the person's name and pray and cry. I always tell people I am misanthropic. On the surface, I am. But inside where it counts I am not. I feel for all the people who are battling circumstances/diseases/addictions that they need help with. But isn't that part of being a Christian ?? or even being just human, that we care for our brothers and sisters even if we do not know them when they are down and almost out ?? I just wish I could make everyone better but I leave them in the hands of my savior, my Jesus and I cannot think of any better place to be commended to.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1380 Comments 5
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Thank God that you are there to pray for them, CM! I think that is part of why you have been called to do what you do...pray for the sick. You have such a good heart!!!
    Posted 08-05-2010 at 05:40 PM by ChristmasHeart ChristmasHeart is offline
  2. Old Comment
    I think it is a wonderful thing that you can feel such compassion
  3. Old Comment
    I am also a trained medical transcriptionist although that is not my current job. I did work in a doctors office for about 6 months and part of the group of doctors were oncologists. Seeing those young people and children in and out of that office everyday broke my heart. I couldnt stay there any longer. Although I didn't know them either, just seeing them touched my heart. I prayed for many that I didn't know as well.
  4. Old Comment
    Nothing we do can ever compare to praying for other people....I always try and remember that even though God hates the sin He loves the sinner so much....Keep praying, and I will join you....Grace and Mercy, my two favorite words....God be with you....
    Posted 08-11-2010 at 02:42 PM by One Spoiled Brat One Spoiled Brat is offline
  5. Old Comment
    It makes me sad to when I hear of these situations. I always wonder how they got in this place and try not to judge them but pray they get better.
    Posted 08-12-2010 at 09:55 AM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is online now

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award