Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » When the Dog Bites

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,451
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,178)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
A Parent's Night Before...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:41 PM
40,400 Views  0 Posts
Bells The Nativity Part IV: He...
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:47 PM
66,460 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in the 1930s
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:02 PM
63,452 Views  0 Posts
Boxing Day
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:30 PM
51,687 Views  0 Posts
Is it Donner or Donder?
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:53 PM
48,608 Views  0 Posts
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

When the Dog Bites

Submit "When the Dog Bites" to Digg Submit "When the Dog Bites" to del.icio.us Submit "When the Dog Bites" to StumbleUpon Submit "When the Dog Bites" to Google
Posted 09-09-2010 at 08:21 PM by Jeff Westover

I should write a book about the correspondence I receive through My Merry Christmas.

Most of it is kind-hearted. Christmas blesses the lives of many because it is so easy to share. And that is why, I think, many people reach out to say things when they see something on these pages.

But occasionally I get snarling, nasty emails from folks.

You would think they would bring it to the pages of the forums. But honestly, they are almost always cloaked in the anonymity of the Internet. Most are submitted without real names or returnable email addresses. They simply rage and disappear, content I suppose in knowing that they told me.

Their complaints run the gamut:

"Your site is too Christian!"

"Santa is a fraud (and so are you!)"

"Hell has a spot reserved for sick weirdos who put up websites like this."

"Christmas, like religion, is just a virus of the mind."

"Why you would support a season of gluttony and greed is beyond me. Christmas is a sickness."

These are actual quotes, believe it or not.

I some times wish I could give them the satisfaction of knowing that what they say upsets me.

But honestly, it doesn't.

Most of the time, I laugh at it. Most of the time, it makes me a little sad to know how ignorant they are. Most of the time, it rolls off of me like so much of the absurdity spewed from the lips of our politicians.

Most of the time.

But every once in a while I have to confess to feeling their sting just a little bit.

Not that they could ever convince me they are right.

But more that our job here is never done. We still have mountains to climb.

The simple mission of My Merry Christmas is to wish the world a Merry Christmas.

That's it.

But in my heart, there is power within those words, "Merry Christmas".

But no matter how many web pages I build or websites I launch or features I provide that teach the goodness of the season they will never get it.

Christmas just isn't something you read. Converts are not born in a momentary flash of inspiration or revelation.

Christmas is simply something you do. It is, in the simplest term, a verb.

And the doing, as Dr. Seuss so capably said, isn't in a wrapped package, a decorated tree or bought at the store.

When the dog bites my only defense is to think of those things I know Christmas to be.

And then click "delete".
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    [B]Oh Jeff. Amen !!! On the mark 100%. I always say "MERRY CHRISTmas" And when I encounter folks who knock Christmas, I just say Merry CHRISTmas even more because there IS indeed power in those 2 Words. Thank you. You are such an inspiration. May God Always Bless you and I personally thank you for this wonderful site. [/B]
  2. Old Comment
    I was actually quite shocked to read that you receive emails saying such things. I sat here with my mouth wide open - and shaking my head. Imagine...those people who send you nasty emails like that - to actually go out of their way and do that...I cannot help but think that there must be a certain level of deep sadness in their lives or emotional and/or spiritual problems. Almost makes you feel sorry for them, as they do not know how it is to feel the joy and happiness that Spirit of Christmas brings!

I, for one - and I'm sure the others here and on the merry networks sites...am truly thankful and grateful for the work you and your teams have done and for bringing this most wonderful and merry site to us!

There was a time that I thought there were not any other's like me. But because of you...I have met so many others who share in the Christmas Spirit all year long! What a blessing that is!

Thank you, Jeff...and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Posted 09-10-2010 at 06:18 AM by ChristmasHeart ChristmasHeart is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award