Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > rodmonster » At least one good Christmas in the 80s....

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,977
Threads: 53,464
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,864)
Welcome to our newest member, SnowflakeMom
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
How to Make the Most of...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:55 PM
47,656 Views  0 Posts
Mistletoe Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-23-2012 03:40 PM
34,059 Views  0 Posts
Are You a Spug?
By MerryCarey
07-25-2011 09:08 AM
Last post by lauriebear
08-15-2011 12:09 PM
53,313 Views  7 Posts
I Always Felt So Special
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:20 PM
45,451 Views  0 Posts
There's Something About...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:38 PM
40,816 Views  0 Posts
Rate this Entry

At least one good Christmas in the 80s....

Submit "At least one good Christmas in the 80s...." to Digg Submit "At least one good Christmas in the 80s...." to del.icio.us Submit "At least one good Christmas in the 80s...." to StumbleUpon Submit "At least one good Christmas in the 80s...." to Google
Posted 09-23-2010 at 09:35 AM by rodmonster

My family is a bit weird with Christmas.. My little sister is a bit indifferent, and my Mom, Dad, and little Brother...although EXTREMELY religious (Dad is an Education Minister and Brother is a Youth Minsiter)......don't share the feelings i have for Christmas. They love and respect it from the Biblical sense only and don't like anything else past that point...in fact they don't even put a tree up anymore - more less decorate. The don't like me buying them presents ...etc....get the idea?
As kids - we did have a small tree and we did get a few things though... although my dad had a weird way of doing it. He preferred that the gifts were needed things and as we got older - we had to pay for half of what we wanted so we "learned responsibility and that money does not grow on trees...blah blah blah...". Yes i said we paid for half of many of our gifts....so we kinda knew what we were getting...
Needless to say my kids are a bit spoiled at Christmas - as is my wife...and to be honest - anyone i can buy a present for.. I LOVE giving gifts...i especially love it when someone says - how did you know i wanted / asked for that?... Its not that i pride myself in the gift - but more that i listened to them and got them something they wanted... I feel it shows that i have actual concern for them (which i genuinely do) and that i am listening because i want to - not to just appease them and move on. In return many folks feel like they owe me something - and as i always tell them - next year - send me a card.. I love the cards...becasue that means to me that for at least 30 seconds to a minute you were thinking of me and my family and you too were in the Christmas spirit like i always am and thats all i really want! =)

But i digress....

Back to the story.

One Christmas in particular, back in the early 80s (i think it was 1983)...we were at my grandparents along with most of the Harrison family for Christmas Day Dinner. There were 25 to 30 of us there..maybe more...i was only 10 so its abit hard to remember all that showed. We said our prayers and gave thanks then had our turkey, sides, and finally - deserts.
After that the kids went into the living room and waited on pins and needles to open presents from family members (BTW - my dad and his brother put a stop to that as well later on - they didn't like "buying all those presents and no one really cares about them anyway"...sigh..).
We received some really neat stuff that year..Dukes of Hazzard Cars..a battery operated toy rig that pulled hotwhells..etc (my brother - 4 years younger than i - almost always got the exact same thing from family members - go figure).
That year the parents had decided to bring up the gifts from each other as well. So my brother and i got some small toys, some socks and underoos, some books, etc. Not too bad. Our cousins did the same and got some really cool electronic games, remote control cars, radios, etc.
Once it was all over my grandparents said i lets go outside and see if we missed anything. It was 30 degrees out there and light snow was falling already. We got on our jackets and went with the entire family. As we came out, my brother and i stood like the rest in a huge circle in the garage. I looked up and saw the coolest bike (Blue Traxx 3000) and a coolest big wheels (Dukes of Hazzard with side spin out break) and thought - Man! That is so COOL! I wish i could have a bike...all my friends back home have one...sigh...My cousins are really lucky this year....
After about 20 -30 seconds i finally noticed that everyone was looking at my little brother and me... I looked back as if to say.. Ummm...What...Do I have lobsters coming out of my ears?... Then my uncle said - these are for you two....
My brother and i flipped out - we couldn't believe our eyes - we were floored...literally giddy at the site of them. We thanked Mom and Dad and started riding... they had to literally pull us out of the snow after 30 minutes of riding in the long driveway and grass from the side of the house.
To this day i don't know how my dad got them there in the back of our car with out us knowing anything. We didn't pay for any of it and we were totally and utterly surprised.
I have had plenty of other wonderful memories with friends and now with my own family at Christmas... but this one still sticks out as my best Christmas memory as a kid and always will....
Time for some wheelies in the snow!!
Views 1142 Comments 3
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Rod what wonderful memories !!! Thank you for sharing such a precious part of your life.
  2. Old Comment
    Thanks for sharing your memories, it is great to hear stories like that.
  3. Old Comment
    Awesome story Rod! I am sure that is why Christmas is so special to you now. I know you want to make sure that everyone gets that feeling at Christmas like you did at that time. =)
    Posted 09-23-2010 at 02:14 PM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award