Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » A Sense of History

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,471
Top Poster: xmas365 (151,038)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Xtree1 The Fir Tree
By MMC Editor
09-25-2011 07:00 AM
77,896 Views  0 Posts
Saving More By Christmas...
By MMC Editor
09-08-2011 11:50 PM
74,930 Views  0 Posts
A Babe at Christmas
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:25 PM
Last post by ilovesilentnight
10-28-2011 04:28 PM
46,226 Views  1 Posts
If Only She Hadn't Winked
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:18 PM
Last post by caninemomssister
12-01-2013 05:36 PM
57,315 Views  1 Posts
Christmas Stockings
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:15 PM
52,106 Views  0 Posts
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

A Sense of History

Submit "A Sense of History" to Digg Submit "A Sense of History" to del.icio.us Submit "A Sense of History" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Sense of History" to Google
Posted 10-05-2010 at 02:52 PM by Jeff Westover

I do not feel as old as I sound. And I'm NOT as old as I sound, I suppose. But when you start throwing terms around like "history" and "20th anniversary" you tend to sound a bit, well, old.

But next week we start our 20th year of publishing Christmas.

Now, I know I've told the story over and over. But let me qualify that statement for those who haven't read it or heard it before: When I met my wife she came with a bonus: a five year old little girl who would become my eldest daughter. She didn't believe in Santa. We enlisted the help of Elf Ernest that first fall and Christmas together to teach her about Santa and to answer her questions about Christmas. These came in the way of Santa Updates, over a fax machine. Those faxes she passed to her friends, whose parents called us wanting the faxes too. That grew from a handful to dozens to hundreds -- which eventually pushed us to the Internet. And here we are today -- 20 years later, still doing it, still celebrating and still sharing it with more and more people.

But the past is not the sense of history I want to discuss. I want to talk about modern history...this history of this year, this Christmas.

We are expanding and discovering whole new worlds this year of 2010. Down the road, when we look back again, we will look back on 2010 as a monumental year in our ongoing evolution of MMC.

The next 75 days or so will reveal some of it to you. In fact, tomorrow is a big step, too.

But for all that is great and good to come forth this Christmas the real work we're putting out there right now is for Christmas 2011 -- officially, year #20.

My goals back then were pretty simple. It certainly didn't involve then all that you see here. That just kind of happened. Our goal was just to inform, delight, amuse, and educate. We wanted to just wish the world a Merry Christmas.

That goal remains.

But we're doing it in ever expanding and creative ways.

And I have to tell you: I'm having the greatest time doing it.

Losing my job last spring has largely done this for me. For years I've dreamed of doing things that I am only now doing.

Time used to be the primary resource I lacked in bringing those things to pass. Now it is other resources holding us back. Namely, money and talent.

But those, in my world, are easier to overcome than the hurdle of time.

And that means we're poised to move forward more quickly than ever in the past.

In those early years, with more goals than actual plans (and certainly limited on things like money and talent then too), we survived on the goodness of folks we met.

Writers, artists, programmers and simply good folks from all over just contributed their talents and ideas to build My Merry Christmas. The foundation of what this site is belongs still to those kind hearts.

And it will be others like them that build on that foundation.

In my view, it is a modern miracle -- a good story. It is a story of what is best in all of us.
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    20 years! That's great!

Thanks for sharing your story. =)
    Posted 10-05-2010 at 04:53 PM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is offline
  2. Old Comment
    [B]Jeff, because of you and the Christmas Crew and all the members this site IS Christmas. I have been to a lot of Christmas sites and THIS SITE feels the most like Christmas to me. Perhaps it is because this site started as a gesture of love. Thank you for all your hard work and for being ever vigilant for all of us. I appreciate you and all here so very much. I am usually very backward and have never felt that I "belong" somewhere. In fact, I am usually the "black sheep" or "outcast". You have made me feel like MMC is my home and that maybe I am important for once in my life and that even an outcast can find a home with Christmas. I sincerely appreciate and feel honored to be in your company along with all the other members here. Oh and, though it is a bit early, Merry CHRISTmas, Jeff and thank you so much. [/B]
  3. Old Comment
    Thanks so much for all of your hard work, you have made my days brighter with this site
  4. Old Comment
    I agree wholeheartedly with Caninemom3....thank you very much, this site brings so much happiness to so many people.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award