Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > Storeytime » Comments

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,450
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,178)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
"A Dear Little Schemer"......
By MerryCarey
10-25-2011 08:28 AM
55,989 Views  0 Posts
Gift 4 Re-Gifting: Yes or No?
By MMC Editor
01-25-2013 09:05 AM
Last post by Bradmac
04-14-2013 05:01 PM
43,606 Views  2 Posts
"Lill's Travels in Santa...
By MerryCarey
10-26-2011 08:48 AM
59,530 Views  0 Posts
Puritan Humbugs and a...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:21 PM
58,111 Views  0 Posts
The Summer Creation of...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 10:05 PM
44,375 Views  0 Posts
  1. Old Comment

Why I'm taking a break from Facebook

I totally understand where you are coming from, spending more time with family and getting the songs in your head sung out loud and all of life's pleasures are vitally important and sometimes we all take it for granted.

As I'm sure I've mentioned to you privately, my father nearly died six years ago from cancer and everyone who knew him was concerned for the entire family. He was diagnosed in June that year and by the following April he was back to work and in the late summer he took up a game of golf. The following year, he carried his own clubs around the course instead of using a cart and bragged about that for days.

Strong character and a love for things outside of oneself is one reason I know so many survivors. I lost a dear friend to cancer three years ago and it's still hard to make sense of why she couldn't overcome it, but in the end I realized that cancer sucks and different types of cancer are more deadly than others. The type my father had contributed to his mother's death when I was only a year old. Cancer detection and treatments have come along way since then.

My husband reminded me of the watch I gave him when we celebrated our first Christmas together. I had it engraved with the words "making time for friendship" and now I'm the one making up for lost time. I haven't closed anything down, but I have backed up a bit so we can spend more time together.

P.S. I'm still cheering for you!
    Posted 10-06-2011 at 05:34 PM by AuntieMistletoeDear AuntieMistletoeDear is offline
  2. Old Comment

In the name of full disclosure, I have re-conncected my Facebook account, but for a pretty good reason.

I wanted to post the pictures and video I took of the recent wildfires in Bastrop, Texas. We were called into the region to get emergency power to an MRI so that the magnet wouldn't melt down. These were some pretty close-up shots that I felt needed to be made public.

Anyway, I haven't closed the account again, but I have been keeping my time there to a bare minimum. So far, so good. If I start to spend too much time there, it's going bye bye again.
  3. Old Comment

Tim,

Amen, brother. I do have friends in far corners of the world, and fb makes it possible for us to keep in touch. But far too much time flows down the social media sink. I've cut back as well.

Now--get started on that book. No time like the present...

Best,
    jimmyolsen
  4. Old Comment

Great Blog!! Thanks for sharing. I think there comes a time in which we all can step back, take a break and stop to smell the roses. Life has so much to offer. And your words are encouraging.
  5. Old Comment

Way to go! I have nothing against Facebook, Twitter, etc, but I do not have enough time to do everything else I want to do as it is.
    Posted 08-11-2011 at 12:37 PM by Yuletide Junkie Yuletide Junkie is offline
  6. Old Comment

Thanks for the comments and words of encouragement!
  7. Old Comment

Good for you, I hope you reach those goals, make those dreams come true I am sure a lot of people would benefit... I do not care for Facebook, Twitter, & to a certian degree texting, I feel they have taken us too far from "real" time with people, sometimes I think these sites create a place for people to read what others are doing instead of actually living life themselves. Making a start is great!!!
  8. Old Comment

Tim, way to go man. I for one have had to put Facebook in the 'despised' status for all the time consumption it creates in the lives of so many of my dear ones. We need more physical/personal interaction but we substitute electronic interaction for those we are actually in physical proximity of. Hang in there - enjoy your newfound freedoms - build those relationships and memories and work to live without regrets. We're all pulling for you.
  9. Old Comment

Your blog has inspired me to stay off the internet this evening, and go visit my sister. Thank you for sharing your point of view with us!
  10. Old Comment

I hear you Tim. I have pulled back a little on Facebook myself. I am trying to concentrate on my cooking/food blog and MMC too, which are more fulfilling than Facebook. Good luck to you. See you on MMC.
  11. Old Comment
    Posted 07-07-2011 at 02:55 PM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is offline

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award