Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,089
Threads: 53,930
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,803)
Welcome to our newest member, ajb1946
My name is Ron, I am a Christmas nut always have been always will be. I am first and foremost a stay at home dad that has an evening job at a retail/grocery establishment. After my second son was born I stepped down from my management position, so my wife and I don't have to pay for daycare. My wife is a teacher in the town we live, so people recognize us everywhere in our little town.
My wife and I have been married for 9 years. We have 2 boys aged 6 and 3, both are young Christmas nuts.

I have loved Christmas as long as I remember
from seeing the lights on all the houses, to seeing if I could stay awake to see Santa.
Christmas has been the one constant in my life it has always been there for me, through the rough times of my parents divorce when I was 10 y/o or my mother's passing when I was 16.
Everyone always tried to make it something special for myself and sister when we were young no matter what was going on. I now believe that is why I love this time of year more than any other because of the efforts of my family to hold it above any other time of year. I get to make the season special for my boys now, whether it be by playing the music decorating the house and yard or just playing the dvd's. The memories the season has brought have always warm and it is no wonder why I look forward to making more of these memories every year. My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story my favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night. My favorite Christmas artist is Bing Crosby.
Well if I ran on a little bit I am sorry I am new to blogging, it sounds always better in your mind.
I will try to keep posting and making it interesting for all who read.
  1. Old Comment

37 is the new 25

=0) Nicely said, I hope you have a wonderful 2012!
  2. Old Comment

37 is the new 25

Wonderful post. I hope you reach your goals. Smiling is one of the best ways to open up with people. If you just smile you will be surprised how the world opens up to you.
  3. Old Comment

37 is the new 25

Great read...love the title as well!! I need to start thinking that way myself!
  4. Old Comment

Embracing My Youth

Xmas what a great story, I mean it, I know living it was not good, believe me I know, went through something similar. It is wonderful that you shared this, it is wonderful that you finally found a rock it that storm (your grandparents).

I am so happy you are creating the direct opposite for your family.

I love reading your blog and about your history and your family keep it up you are a great writer.
  5. Old Comment

2011, Good Riddance!

Perhaps the year 2011 wasn't so bad for me afterall. Thanks for sharing your year in review so openly. I always look on the bright side of things and believe that out of something bad comes something good. Wishing you and yours a year that is memorable for all the right reasons.
    Festive Regards,
    Auntie M.
    Posted 01-01-2012 at 05:02 PM by AuntieMistletoeDear AuntieMistletoeDear is offline
  6. Old Comment

2011, Good Riddance!

Xmas, this was a great blog, a year in review. I have lived through tornadoes so I know what it can do to a town, on the flip side, reading your post as an "outsider", it filled me with hope, for reading this I get the sense that your town came together and helped each other out, that you stood by each other gave a hand. Sometimes we ask why it happened, or why us, these are things I cannot answer or anyone I guess but now reading this it shows me even though you wrote of horrible things happening, I am getting the feeling good things came of it... That congress woman, she will never be the same but she is getting better, your family huddled in a cold house together at least you all weren't alone, you have love and it com,es though. Yes 2011 was hard for your town, but it has now made you stronger and dare I say closer?
  7. Old Comment

Anxious, Shmanxious

[B][I]Thinking of you my dear Christmas friend -Hope you feel better soon ox[/I][/B]
  8. Old Comment

Anxious, Shmanxious

And you will get through it fine Ron! The last few hours are the worst when you are waiting for something like this! they just drag by...will be thinking about you today and sending good vibes your way!!!
  9. Old Comment

Enjoy the Season!

[B][I]Happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas to my dear friend xo [/I][/B]
  10. Old Comment

The Spirit of Christmas

Well said! I love this song too, I get chills and emotional every time I hear this song too, even when it is the scene in "Christmas Vacation" when Clark is watching the old home movies of his childhood Christmases!
  11. Old Comment

I Am Wallpaper

hi there i feel for you . its terrable when someone flirts with you and you have no interest. and you dont want to be cheeky and say something nasty. and agree with cm3 some people see a wedding ring as nothing, only to overcome it. there is some woman and men to, that have it in there head that no man or woman is beyond being unfaithful and see a ring as being a challange. but its nice to be in a relationship where you can tell your wife anything. and she does not loss it . and say " your doing something to encourage it "
  12. Old Comment

I Am Wallpaper

This is so wonderful Ron !! I am pretty shy myself so I do understand. I know what you mean (believe it or not !!) about when a person pays "that" kind of attention to you and you do not want it. I could feel your discomfort as I read. Some people just don't get it - They think if someone is wearing a wedding ring it is just for decoration or something. It is nice to know that you and your wife truly love each other and it also nice to be able to appreciate a truly loving and committed relationship this day and age. My hats off to you and your lovely wife. Your boys are SO lucky to have the mom and dad they have ox
  13. Old Comment

The Christmas Bug is Buzzing!

I truly enjoyed reading this....Thanks for sharing...Merry CHRISTmas....God bless you and the family....
    Posted 10-13-2011 at 10:13 AM by One Spoiled Brat One Spoiled Brat is offline
  14. Old Comment

My Ridiculous Christmas T-Shirt Collection

I love the shirts; it's so nice that you display your Christmas spirit for everyone to see!
  15. Old Comment
    Posted 09-30-2011 at 09:37 PM by GoodTastinCoffeeMan GoodTastinCoffeeMan is offline
  16. Old Comment

A Friend In Need...

hi there i to have one mate like that as well , hes 32 . and has a could not care less atitude to everything. but sometimes people have to want to do things for themselves and you or me or anyone can make them do it if they dont want to.
    i have took him on a goverment scheme and yes he is helpful but i can see he is only doing it for the extra monay at the end of the 6 months
  17. Old Comment

A Friend In Need...

I know a few people like this, Ron. It is so frustrating when a person tries hard to help someone they care about yet the one on the receiving end doesn't respond or will not take responsibility. In the end, unfortunately, what I have had to do is realize that you can sometimes "lead a horse to water" but still you can't make it drink.........I hope your friend comes around. xo
  18. Old Comment

Santa Won't Let Me Down?

Ron, with parents like you and your wife to guide them, your boys will NEVER be far from the magic of Christmas nor it from them ......Blessings xo
  19. Old Comment

Santa Won't Let Me Down?

This is a great post, Xmas365. I think you paint a familiar picture with all of us.

I recall back in 2001 -- when most of my kids were really little and I was just starting a new job -- I had some of my children with stars in their eyes about what Santa would bring. At the time it really perplexed me because we were coming off a hard, hard period as a family because I was really out of work for about 11 months and we were struggling.

My kids were little then, except for my eldest, and I think their desire for some extravagant things were driven by the fact that with such a large family we've never had much left over for things beyond the necessities. We've never gone without but in comparison to so many other kids in our area our kids were living lean.

The thing that really changed it for us was the events of 9/11 and the heart-breaking emails Santa received through the site that year from kids who wanted things that Santa really couldn't give -- things like a lost parent or grandparent or kids dealing with emotional fears and scars over events. From my side, it was a very scary Christmas but from their side it was humbling.

My kids that year learned that Santa sometimes has to say no because there are other kids with greater needs -- needs like shoes, or food, or a warm coat...or a parent.

I have persisted in teaching the goodness and reality of Santa all of these years because I believe he is a real role model for compassionate Christmas celebration. When my kids see a Santa serving in some capacity or encouraging kids to do things for others or merely promoting the great intangibles of the season (time together as a family, doing things, spreading happiness, etc) it tends to de-emphasize the receiving.

In the Santa Updates each year we see subtle little pushes in that direction -- that Santa isn't like a bottomless ATM focused solely on giving kids everything they want.

Sometimes the answer is no, especially where a child already has so many blessings.
  20. Old Comment

The Christmas Bug is Buzzing!

I am totally with you on this xo Wonderful blog, as usual.

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award