Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,440
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
My Neighbor, My Friend
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:31 PM
49,376 Views  0 Posts
Mr. Krueger's Christmas...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:08 PM
66,160 Views  0 Posts
Homemade Ornaments and...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 08:59 PM
36,060 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree The First Christmas in...
By Jeff Westover
10-07-2012 10:49 PM
30,682 Views  0 Posts
Somewhere in France
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:14 PM
50,307 Views  0 Posts
My name is Ron, I am a Christmas nut always have been always will be. I am first and foremost a stay at home dad that has an evening job at a retail/grocery establishment. After my second son was born I stepped down from my management position, so my wife and I don't have to pay for daycare. My wife is a teacher in the town we live, so people recognize us everywhere in our little town.
My wife and I have been married for 9 years. We have 2 boys aged 6 and 3, both are young Christmas nuts.

I have loved Christmas as long as I remember
from seeing the lights on all the houses, to seeing if I could stay awake to see Santa.
Christmas has been the one constant in my life it has always been there for me, through the rough times of my parents divorce when I was 10 y/o or my mother's passing when I was 16.
Everyone always tried to make it something special for myself and sister when we were young no matter what was going on. I now believe that is why I love this time of year more than any other because of the efforts of my family to hold it above any other time of year. I get to make the season special for my boys now, whether it be by playing the music decorating the house and yard or just playing the dvd's. The memories the season has brought have always warm and it is no wonder why I look forward to making more of these memories every year. My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story my favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night. My favorite Christmas artist is Bing Crosby.
Well if I ran on a little bit I am sorry I am new to blogging, it sounds always better in your mind.
I will try to keep posting and making it interesting for all who read.
  1. Old Comment

The Evil Within the Fridge

[B]Brilliant !! I have felt this way so often about foods and/or bevrages I indulged in when I was not dieting. And yes, they DO call out to you ![/B]
  2. Old Comment

Unspoken Softly (Poem entry #1)

This is such a nice poem. So heartfelt and so romantic !! You are so multi-talented !!
  3. Old Comment

Al Bundy, Retail Hero?

I hear exactly what you're saying. I've worked in retail for the past 32 years and, frankly, I've rather enjoyed my executive status of the past several years that gave me the satisfaction (and trial) of dealing with the very irate of the irate. By the time customer had reached me, several levels below me had already "failed".

I cannot tell you how many times I've repeated the same thing to a customer that store personnel have said and have had them accept it from me. That grated on me a great deal.

But nothing -- absolutely nothing -- enthralled me more to be in a store, in my suit, and see a customer abuse one of my employees.

I didn't do it much but I did have occasion to tell a customer we didn't want their business and would they just please leave.

Invariably they'd look at me and ask me who I was and demand to know the name of my boss. I would tell them there was no higher up they could go and that I was not kidding when I said I'd call the police and have them arrested for tresspassing.

They'd stomp out, call the 800-number -- a call I would get anyway -- and in rare cases I'd get the pleasure of addressing them a second time.

Invariably, without fail, I would leave that store with morale sky high and see a boost in service and sales.

There is always hard work that goes behind great customer service and most of the time it goes unrecognized. A few customers get it and will say something and what they say is more precious than anything I, the boss, could say to the crew. But for the most part, it is a thankless job.

I always make sure to recognize great service when I get it. And when I don't -- look out.
  4. Old Comment

Al Bundy, Retail Hero?

I believe in "killing them with kindness". My grandfather preached that as well. You come out on top when you do and feel better for doing so.

At my job we seem to have more nice customers than rude. It's a business that has been there for around 80 years and we get regulars that seem like family. If I come across someone rude I take in consideration that this is their personality and try not to take it personally. I continue to be nice and they usually come around. I seriously think people that have a chip on their shoulder as soon as they speak to you have the image that the whole world is against them. It's their defense mechanism to be rude to you right away. Sometimes I think they must be having a bad day and don't realize how they are acting and take it out on me. Not that they are right doing so but it might be the situation. I might be wrong in my judgment but it makes it easier to be nice to them if I think that is what they are feeling.

When they realize I will continue to be nice and helpful they back down a bit. I think they finally realize I am not against them but trying to be helpful.

It can be frustrating for sure and you can't help but feel hurt by rude people.

When you mention about someone being drunk and violent is a whole other thing. I think I would be calling the police then! Lol!

Christmas Eve brings out the good in most people! =)
    Posted 09-17-2010 at 11:35 AM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is offline
  5. Old Comment

Al Bundy, Retail Hero?

I worked retail many, many years myself and I can certainly relate to what you are saying, Ron. Yes, people can be extremely rude especially when they are customers. Sometimes it seems as though they think they have some sort of entitlement to be rude to the retail worker. You are right to "kill 'em with kindness". And yes, Christmas unfortunately seems to bring out the worst of the worst at times as far as people and attitudes. After all, Christ didnt tell them to go shopping so what are they upset about ?? I found working Christmas Eve was actually quite pleasant. People for the most part seemed to be a bit more relaxed and some even seemed to remember what "Christmas is all about." Black Friday is another thing. I hope you will have a good Holiday season and don't let the Scrooges out there get to you !
  6. Old Comment

Quotes From A Two Year Old.

Wow! Very young for full sentences. He is smart!

They do say the cutest things!
    Posted 09-17-2010 at 07:57 AM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is offline
  7. Old Comment

Quotes From A Two Year Old.

[B]LC sounds like such a bright little guy. What a precious entry, Ron. Thank you for sharing it with us. [/B]
  8. Old Comment

I Will Never Forget

It was a horrible day for sure. Every time I see anything to do with 9/11 I tear up.
    Posted 09-11-2010 at 06:47 AM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is offline
  9. Old Comment

I Will Never Forget

[B]Thank you, Ron. I too will never forget that horrible day. I was working here at home, but still also had my job at the hospital. Not being a big TV fan, I learned of the events from the Fedex man who delivered my dictation tape that morning. He told me to turn on the TV. I did and was just overwhelmed. All those innocent lives lost. [/B]
  10. Old Comment

I Will Never Forget

Amen. I live thousands of miles away from New York and had a good friend who lost his life that day there.

I will never forget what I saw. It is forever etched in my mind.

Thank you for a thought provoking post.
  11. Old Comment

Fall Blurbs!

Its always a pleasure to ready your blogs! Thank you!
    Posted 09-08-2010 at 06:34 PM by ChristmasHeart ChristmasHeart is offline
  12. Old Comment

Fall Blurbs!

[B]You always manage to make me feel exactly what you are feeling in your blog !! I swear I could almost see the beautiful trees in New England as I read !! Those costumes sound so cute !!! You have to take pictures. As for school, I too dreaded school. I too was very shy and was made fun of most of the time I was in school so I emphathize. The fair sounds just wonderful !! Thank you for bringing Fall to MMC !!![/B]
  13. Old Comment

The World Needs More Christmas Spirit

I agree, Ron. People are too concerned with the unimportant stuff and not enough with what matters. It seems to be becoming that way more and more. But then again, I think perhaps it has always been that way. The old saying "you don't know what you've got 'til its gone" does seem to ring more true today than ever. As for violence toward others, I don't know what is wrong with people. They just seem not to care, which is why I have always loved animals a bit more. I too saw the story about the lady who had the acid thrown in her face. I too add my prayers. We can't change others and in a lot of cases that is sad. All we can do is change ourselves and hope that somehow the rest of the world will follow. Your blog ran true and was not fractured at all. You are a compassionate man and that in and of itself is becoming a rarity these days. Keep fighting the good fight and perhaps we CAN make a difference.
  14. Old Comment

The World Needs More Christmas Spirit

I know...things in the world do not make sense sometimes - and you are absolutely right...if everyone felt the Spirit of Christmas in their hearts all year long...what a beautiful and happy world this would be! But - I think that those of us who do (have the Spirit of Christmas all the time)...just may make that difference in the world. Just think...because we have Christmas in our lives all the time, (IMO) we are happier people - which, in turn, others notice. You (or me or anyone) may not realize the impact we have on others - and we may not ever really know it. But, who knows?...that smile you give another...that meaningful "thank you"...the little or big things you do for another - just might make a difference to someone...and maybe they will pass it on. You are giving someone Christmas cheer...a gift - without them realizing it...and what a gift that is! Now...I know that this may not change the terrible things that happen in this world - but you just might makes someone's day brighter (even if you don't know it).

I have bad days too and there are times when I'm feeling a little blue...but then I come here, and a transformation takes place. Maybe its a cute story someone tells...something touching that someone shares...a little rhyme someone writes (ummmm...let's say on the "its not who's first" thread) - and something remarkable happens...my "blue" turns into "bright"! Ron, my friend...you spread the Christmas Spirit...without even knowing it! Just think of the impact you have on others who are around you every day...even from something as simple as a smile!

Sorry this is so long. Your blog sparked some thoughts - and I just wanted to share them with you. Keep on spreading the Christmas Spirit...you just never know who is watching - and who really needs it!
    Posted 09-04-2010 at 03:00 AM by ChristmasHeart ChristmasHeart is offline
  15. Old Comment

Four Months Until The Big Day

[B]What an AMAZING Blog. It makes me want to decorate like YESTERDAY !!! Thank you for your inspiration. You are an amazing man and I am proud to call you my friend !! [/B]
  16. Old Comment

Four Months Until The Big Day

YAY Ron!!! Good for you for making a list! Just reading all the things that needs to be done makes me feel excited! Oh yes...Christmas is the day that we all LOVE and look forward to - but I also LOVE the time leading up to it as well! I suspect that you do too! I hope you enjoy every second of it!
    Posted 08-25-2010 at 10:32 AM by ChristmasHeart ChristmasHeart is offline
  17. Old Comment

My Battle With Anxiety

I think all I can say to you, my friend...is God bless you and may He touch you and bring healing throught your mind and body. I hope you don't mind me saying that little prayers for you.

I think you are super for opening up about this. I'm sure that we (myself included) have crosses to bear, but it takes real depth and strenth of character to talk about it (in my opinion). To me...that is something to admire!

You have famiy and friends (including us here on MMC) that will support and encourage you through this!

My thoughts and prayers are with you! Your friend...ChristmasHeart
    Posted 08-19-2010 at 11:28 AM by ChristmasHeart ChristmasHeart is offline
  18. Old Comment

My Battle With Anxiety

I am so sorry to hear about your anxiety attacks. I know that must be very scary for you. Hopefully your doctor can help you out. You might try meditation and yoga? Just a thought, it might help in your healing process. Keep us posted on how you do.
    Posted 08-19-2010 at 06:43 AM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is offline
  19. Old Comment

My Battle With Anxiety

[B]Ron, you have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to feel ashamed of. I too suffer from anxiety. I have also gone through similar situations where I kind of "froze." You can't worry about when it will happen again. You just kind of have to "act as if." In other words, "act as if" it is beaten and everything is fine. It is a principal from the AA program when folks are having a problem. They "act as if" they believe there is a higher power or they "act as if" they can follow the program. It seems to help. I feel your pain and I do feel your anxiety. Just pick up where you left off. Be confident. You WILL make it through. Take lots of deep breaths. There is NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU that has not been wrong with others like myself. You are a normal, kind man. You will be all right. Talking with your doc is a very smart move. I will keep you in my prayers. Just remember not to be too hard on yourself. You are NOT a freak. There are a lot of us who feel as you do !! [/B]
  20. Old Comment

The Red Jacket

What a lovely blog, Ron!!! Yes...you are Santa Claus to your boys and a prince to your wife...and I'm sure you are also their hero! I've said it before - and I'll say it again...you are truly blessed!
    Posted 08-13-2010 at 06:14 PM by ChristmasHeart ChristmasHeart is offline

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award