Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs » Blog Entries

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,131
Threads: 54,246
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,728)
Welcome to our newest member, PrincipalPankley
Old

Halloween comes to America

Posted 10-19-2009 at 08:38 AM by lauriebear777
Updated 10-19-2009 at 08:41 AM by lauriebear777 (Forgot to add catorgory)

Here is a little history on Halloween and how and why it came to be in America...

As European immigrants came to America, they brought their varied Halloween customs with them. Because of the rigid Protestant belief systems that characterized early New England, celebration of Halloween in colonial times was extremely limited there.
It was much more common in Maryland and the southern colonies. As the beliefs and customs of different European ethnic groups, as well as the American Indians, meshed, a distinctly American version of Halloween began to emerge. The first celebrations included "play parties," public events held to celebrate the harvest, where neighbors would share stories of the dead, tell each other's fortunes, dance, and sing. Colonial Halloween festivities also featured the telling of ghost stories and mischief-making of all kinds. By the middle of the nineteenth century, annual autumn festivities were common, but Halloween was not yet celebrated...
Invalid Email
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Christmas Reading Challenge

Posted 10-19-2009 at 02:21 AM by BooksNChristmas (Keep the Christmas spirit all year long!)

I'm hosting a Christmas Reading Challenge over on my book blog. Here is the link in case anyone might want to sign up!

http://thetruebookaddict.blogspot.co...challenge.html

Happy (Holiday) Reading!
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

How far you go....

Posted 10-13-2009 at 02:19 PM by lauriebear777
Updated 10-19-2009 at 08:34 AM by lauriebear777 (To add a catorgory)

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these. ~George Washington Carver

“Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.” - Eskimo Unknown

Below is a post I had on a blog back in 2007 and I thought I would share it with all of you...
[IMG]http://files.dogster.com/images/catster/blu_sqs_430x1.gif[/IMG] [B][URL="http://www.catster.com/cats/635214/diary/All_creatures_great_and_small/392271"][COLOR=#0000ff]The First Thanksgiving at Plymouth[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

November 21st 2007 8:36 am
[ [URL="http://www.catster.com/cats/635214/diary/All_creatures_great_and_small/392271#comment_form"][COLOR=#0000ff]Leave...
Invalid Email
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Official Eggnog Chugger, now reporting...

Posted 09-01-2009 at 06:34 PM by lauriebear777

Hello all... Ok I am real new to all this, I need to get up to speed, I doulbe clicked on another posters pix and another "page" came up with friends and I think postings... I guess I need to read up on all this...

I am watching a year without a Santa Claus, I love this one...

I am planning my Christmas Card list, and I started making some gifts for the ladies I work with...

I also noticed groups, can anyone post to these, and have I?!?! These are the things I will need to find out...

I just started getting into crafts, I am making a few small gifts, the Christmas Spider with the poem...

I posted a few pictures of my tree last year and of my "girls"... I also posted a picture of the snowman we made I think about two weeks before Christmas last year...

Be well all...

[FONT=Georgia]Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms....
Invalid Email
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Offical Chestnut Roaster reporting for service!!!

Posted 08-31-2009 at 09:19 PM by lauriebear777

Good evening all, it is late for me almost 11:10 PM, but I wanted to get my 1st blog in and now I do not knowwhat to say :oops:

So I will just let you know how much I am enjoying this site, I really thought I was one of very few who started with Christmas well, not started, just always loved to keep it with me all year long. I am so glad to see there are many of us kindred spirits :tree:

It makes my heart warm and put a smile on my face...

My one cat Callie is headbutting me, she wants some love...

Hope this wasn't too dull, but something tells me it might have been!!!

See you all later.
Merry Everyday!!!

[FONT=Georgia]Instead of being a time of unusual behavior, Christmas is perhaps the only time in the year when people can obey their natural impulses and express their true sentiments without feeling self-conscious and, perhaps, foolish. Christmas, in short, is about the only chance a man has...
Invalid Email
Posted in Uncategorized

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award