Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs » Entries for November 2013

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,436
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Frankincense
By MMC Editor
06-08-2011 05:45 PM
47,365 Views  0 Posts
“Santa’s Surprise Party”...
By MerryCarey
05-21-2012 11:15 AM
62,987 Views  0 Posts
How to Make the Most of...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:55 PM
47,583 Views  0 Posts
Neiman Marcus Has Just...
By Jeff Westover
10-09-2012 04:00 PM
25,547 Views  0 Posts
Time-Saving Thanksgiving...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:57 PM
74,314 Views  0 Posts
Old

If You Gotta Do A Sequel to It's a Wonderful Life

Posted 11-18-2013 at 05:11 PM by Jeff Westover (A Merry Blog)

The Christmas news of the day is the announcement that a sequel will be made of It's a Wonderful Life and will feature some of the child actors who played the Bailey kids in the original.

My instant reaction to this was NOT good.

Sequels don't have a great history of success. Christmas sequels have an even worse reputation.

And it isn't like It's a Wonderful Life hasn't been remade before. Remember how awful the Marlo Thomas version was?

There are several dangerous elements to this project.

First, and foremost, there is the story. It must be remembered that when It's a Wonderful Life first hit theaters it was a flop. It was nominated for Academy awards but this was at a time when studios put out a fraction of films per year compared to what they do now. This story wasn't compelling and the time and the film went into to cold storage for so long its copyright expired which freed it up to get massive amounts of late-night...
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums
Old

Don't Miss this Podcast

Posted 11-16-2013 at 03:25 AM by Jeff Westover (A Merry Blog)

For weeks now we've been working on the next episode of the Merry Podcast.

Quite honestly, it has made my Christmas of 2013 to do this.

We get lots of submissions year round from artists looking to get airplay on Merry Christmas Radio and Kringle Radio. Some of it is great, some not so great.

As we've looked to feature new artists and songs this year we have gathered more new music than we ever have before. I don't know why that is but there is just a bumper crop this year.

In fact, there's more music than we can fit in on just one podcast.

For a couple of weeks I've been whittling it down, trying to find the right mix to feature.

Quite by accident I noticed something today -- we have contributing artists from the USA, Canada, the UK, Austria, Japan and we even have a song highlighting Christmas of the American southwest.

In other words, these are diverse contributions and I think it represents...
Old

Special Post Day 1- "The Journey"

Posted 11-11-2013 at 11:34 PM by xmas365 (Christmas, Life, and Family)

This is not my style, I like to post in the "privacy" of the blogs, but our most special friend would be most proud of me doing it this way. I am anxious, but it is my time to do a little extra for MMC.

December 26, 2012 12:01 AM

It was over for most of the world, the greatest day of the year had come and gone. the wrapping paper still strewn on some floors across the country, and I am sure there were some lonely Christmas trees already on the sidewalk. I have a friend that is that way, you build up the hype and the fun just to throw it out the door as soon as Bing, Nat, and all the other crooners voices have not even finished echoing from the radio. It is not the end, but the beginning.

We may be sad at that time, but we know there are only 364 days to countdown to make the next year even better.

As we began that journey on the way Christmas 2013, the friendship here grows, we share our lives on The Countdown...
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

A Little April Fool's in November

Posted 11-03-2013 at 06:05 PM by Jeff Westover (A Merry Blog)

Some people will believe anything.

Today on Facebook, on a whim brought on only by a late Saturday night and an early Sunday morning, I posted this snippet:

Did you know that on this date in history the first artificial Christmas tree was found off the coast of Siliconia in 1855? Artificial Christmas trees became an American tradition when Woolworths began selling them to gypsies out of the back of a wagon in 1887.

That snippet came from the draft of a script I wrote more than two years ago. When I research a topic I will put a placeholder in italics and red colored text until I can find the "fact" I seek and replace it.

I must have been in a goofy mood or something when I wrote that and I found it funny this morning, so I just copied and pasted it as a Facebook status expecting somebody to speak up about the absurdity of artificial Christmas trees being "discovered".

To my surprise, within a few minutes the comment...

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award