Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs » Entries for July 17, 2013

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,099
Threads: 54,028
Top Poster: xmas365 (167,174)
Welcome to our newest member, pe1225
Old

My Part in the War on Christmas

Posted 07-17-2013 at 05:47 PM by Jeff Westover (A Merry Blog)

I had an experience in college that long ago tainted my belief in editors and journalism in general.

I was assigned to write a piece about a student rally being held on campus in opposition to Affirmative Action. (This was California in the early 1980s).

The assignment wasn't my cup of tea but it involved my grade so I did what I had to do, carefully following instructions that I was given.

To be honest, my heart wasn't in the article because I had no real interest in writing news. I wanted to do well in the class, yes. But I've always been more of a writer who composes from the gut -- I write from belief, conviction and emotion. That's just who I am.

I had another problem with the assignment: a horrible personal bias.

To make a long story short my acceptance into the California college system at the time was derailed after years of planning, positioning and saving through high school simply because I was a native Californian...
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award