Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs » lauriebear

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,125
Threads: 54,223
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,310)
Welcome to our newest member, AMcLoud
Old

Dashing Through the Snow - The Story of "Jingle Bells"

Posted 11-20-2012 at 12:16 PM by lauriebear

By Duane Shinn

Many people are surprised to learn that "Jingle Bells" was actually written for American Thanksgiving. The song was composed by James Lord Pierpont, and details surrounding his life and the writing of the song have been contended over the years. In fact, in some older publications, the song's writer is listed as 'anonymous.' It is commonly accepted today, however, that Pierpont was indeed the writer, though the song was originally published under the title "One Horse Open Sleigh."

A musician, Pierpont was not famous, at least during his own time. In fact, it's highly likely that he never made a dime off of "Jingle Bells." Pierpont, the son of an American minister, struggled at times to eke out a living for his family, especially when he suffered a business loss during the San Francisco gold rush. Broke, and with a wife and children to support, he headed from California to Savannah, Georgia to ask his brother John...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Christmas Media

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award