Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs » lauriebear

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,019
Top Poster: xmas365 (167,029)
Welcome to our newest member, sonicboomboy
Old

Dashing Through the Snow - The Story of "Jingle Bells"

Posted 11-20-2012 at 12:16 PM by lauriebear

By Duane Shinn

Many people are surprised to learn that "Jingle Bells" was actually written for American Thanksgiving. The song was composed by James Lord Pierpont, and details surrounding his life and the writing of the song have been contended over the years. In fact, in some older publications, the song's writer is listed as 'anonymous.' It is commonly accepted today, however, that Pierpont was indeed the writer, though the song was originally published under the title "One Horse Open Sleigh."

A musician, Pierpont was not famous, at least during his own time. In fact, it's highly likely that he never made a dime off of "Jingle Bells." Pierpont, the son of an American minister, struggled at times to eke out a living for his family, especially when he suffered a business loss during the San Francisco gold rush. Broke, and with a wife and children to support, he headed from California to Savannah, Georgia to ask his brother John...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Christmas Media
Old

Sarah Josepha Hale , "The Mother of the American Thanksgiving”

Posted 11-17-2011 at 02:06 PM by lauriebear

Sarah Josepha Hale , "The Mother of the American Thanksgiving”
There is much more to Sarah Josepha Hale's life than is included in this short essay. It will behoove the reader to investigate her involvement in fundraising for the Bunker Hill Monument, her work with the Seaman's Aid Society of Boston, and her other points of influence
Suffice it to say that the beautiful Sarah Josepha Hale, with her trademark long curls, was an inspiration in her time.Her thought’s, are timeless and live on in the hearts of those who still read and enjoy her work. In New Hampshire, we claim her as one of our own, made of sturdy New England stock, determined to succeed even when the odds were against it. Guided by the Hand of Providence, succeed she did.
The next time you sit down to a Thanksgiving meal, please think of Sarah Josepha Hale and all of her diligent work to make her dream of a universal American Thanksgiving celebration come true. She sought the good of all, even...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Let's all sayThank you to Sarah Josepha Hale...

Posted 11-16-2011 at 02:17 PM by lauriebear

Sarah Josepha Hale, the enormously influential magazine editor and author who waged a tireless campaign to make Thanksgiving a national holiday in the mid-19th century, was also the author of the classic nursery rhyme "Mary Had a Little Lamb."

Here is the letter she sent to President Abraham Lincoln...

From Sarah J. Hale to Abraham Lincoln, September 28, 1863
Philadelphia, Sept. 28th 1863.
Sir.
Permit me, as Editress of the "Lady's Book", to request a few minutes of your precious time, while laying before you a subject of deep interest to myself and -- as I trust -- even to the President of our Republic, of some importance. This subject is to have the day of our annual Thanksgiving made a National and fixed Union Festival.
You may have observed that, for some years past, there has been an increasing interest felt in our land to have the Thanksgiving held on the same day, in all the States; it now needs National recognition...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award