Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » Entries for November 18, 2013

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,090
Threads: 53,931
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,812)
Welcome to our newest member, flockman02
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Old

If You Gotta Do A Sequel to It's a Wonderful Life

Posted 11-18-2013 at 05:11 PM by Jeff Westover (A Merry Blog)

The Christmas news of the day is the announcement that a sequel will be made of It's a Wonderful Life and will feature some of the child actors who played the Bailey kids in the original.

My instant reaction to this was NOT good.

Sequels don't have a great history of success. Christmas sequels have an even worse reputation.

And it isn't like It's a Wonderful Life hasn't been remade before. Remember how awful the Marlo Thomas version was?

There are several dangerous elements to this project.

First, and foremost, there is the story. It must be remembered that when It's a Wonderful Life first hit theaters it was a flop. It was nominated for Academy awards but this was at a time when studios put out a fraction of films per year compared to what they do now. This story wasn't compelling and the time and the film went into to cold storage for so long its copyright expired which freed it up to get massive amounts of late-night...
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award