Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » Entries for July 2013

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,973
Threads: 53,442
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,043)
Welcome to our newest member, Norrisrals
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Mostly Homemade (and...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2011 03:22 PM
60,874 Views  0 Posts
Santa Doesn't Always...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:21 PM
48,936 Views  0 Posts
When It is Not Christmas...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:26 PM
44,287 Views  0 Posts
Presentblue Guide to Black Friday...
By MMC Editor
11-08-2012 11:50 AM
Last post by jimmydbrown
12-27-2012 04:59 AM
82,778 Views  4 Posts
Others: The History of...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:23 PM
64,750 Views  0 Posts
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Old

My Part in the War on Christmas

Posted 07-17-2013 at 05:47 PM by Jeff Westover (A Merry Blog)

I had an experience in college that long ago tainted my belief in editors and journalism in general.

I was assigned to write a piece about a student rally being held on campus in opposition to Affirmative Action. (This was California in the early 1980s).

The assignment wasn't my cup of tea but it involved my grade so I did what I had to do, carefully following instructions that I was given.

To be honest, my heart wasn't in the article because I had no real interest in writing news. I wanted to do well in the class, yes. But I've always been more of a writer who composes from the gut -- I write from belief, conviction and emotion. That's just who I am.

I had another problem with the assignment: a horrible personal bias.

To make a long story short my acceptance into the California college system at the time was derailed after years of planning, positioning and saving through high school simply because I was a native Californian...
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums
Old

Farewell Our Beloved Friend

Posted 07-02-2013 at 01:53 PM by Jeff Westover (A Merry Blog)
Updated 07-02-2013 at 02:02 PM by Jeff Westover

Sam passed away peacefully today after a long illness. Born on Halloween 2001 Sam came to his family on Christmas morning as a present for our 9 year old daughter but he ended up becoming a gift to us all.

Sam was one of a litter of 8 short hair border collie puppies found from a rescue in Ogden, Utah. He was the smallest and most social of the bunch. Sam spent the bulk of his first car ride from Ogden to Draper, Utah on my chest, shaking and whining nearly the entire way. His welcome on Christmas morning was glorious and he basked in the activity, love and energy that a family with seven children would provide.

Sam was a bird chaser and a mouse catcher. He was intolerant of cats, squirt guns and carbonated beverages the kids would sometimes slip him for entertainment (he barked at them). Sam was athletic, loving to run for long periods of time. He was a tireless explorer, a fearless wanderer and a hopeless carnivore.

My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums
Posted in Family Life

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award