Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > MerryCarey's Blog » General Christmas

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 54,007
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy

Anything goes---musings on Christmas music, movies, history, memories---anything Christmas that moves me to write. I hope you find something to enjoy here!

General Christmas For blogs talking about all things Christmas.
Old

Keeping Christmas

Posted 12-24-2010 at 10:00 AM by MerryCarey (MerryCarey's Blog)

The past two years I have posted this text in the forums as an annual Christmas greeting to all forum readers. It's an excerpt from The Spirit of Christmas by Henry Van Dyke. It's too good not to share; it's a wonderful expression of the true spirit of Christmas.

Keeping Christmas
By Henry Van Dyke

It is a good thing to observe Christmas day. The mere marking of times and seasons, when men agree to stop work and make merry together, is a wise and wholesome custom. It helps one to feel the supremacy of the common life over the individual life. It reminds a man to set his own little watch, now and then, by the great clock of humanity which runs on sun time.

But there is a better thing than the observance of Christmas day, and that is, keeping Christmas.

Are you willing to forget what you have done for other people, and to remember what other people have done for you; to ignore what the...
Christmas Deity
Old

Are You a Spug?

Posted 10-19-2010 at 02:42 PM by MerryCarey (MerryCarey's Blog)

This is my maiden voyage as a blogger. This time it's a trip back in time to 1912 to visit a little-known chapter in Christmas history.

Are you a Spug?

Well, let’s see… Do you believe that it is foolish to join in giving Christmas presents to those higher up? Do you believe that it is vulgar to give Christmas presents only because they are given to you? Do you believe that it is wicked to give Christmas presents without love and common sense?

In 1912, if you answered “yes” to these questions, you had what it took to become a Spug. You could get together with four others who shared your beliefs to form a Spug Squad, choose a captain, and write to the Spug headquarters in New York City for membership cards and official Spug pins. As a full-fledged Spug, your mission would be to “make as many converts as possible,” and “to eliminate by co-operative effort the custom of giving indiscriminately at Christmas, and to further in every way the true Christian...
Christmas Deity

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award