Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > MerryCarey's Blog » Christmas Foods

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 53,975
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,477)
Welcome to our newest member, TAlbritto

Anything goes---musings on Christmas music, movies, history, memories---anything Christmas that moves me to write. I hope you find something to enjoy here!

Christmas Foods Blogs centered on the yummy side of the holidays.
Old

Mrs. Carey's Fruit Cake

Posted 11-23-2010 at 04:06 PM by MerryCarey (MerryCarey's Blog)

Some of you may know that my father passed away in October, leaving me the last surviving member of the family I grew up in. It also leaves me the sole owner and guardian of a well-worn index card that bears a typed recipe with handwritten amendments, and is stained with baking ingredients and years of use.

Fruitcake was never a joke in our house. I suppose I was in high school before I was aware that in many households, Christmas fruitcake was a despised object of ridicule. But not the fruitcake my parents made from a recipe passed down through my family. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, various friends and neighbors never failed to remind my parents: “Don’t forget to save me some fruitcake again this year!”

On Thanksgiving Day, our kitchen was always busy—but not with turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Instead, our kitchen table groaned with ingredients and a huge roasting pan in which my mother and father compounded the batter...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Christmas Foods

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award