Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > MerryCarey's Blog » Christmas Media

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 54,002
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,737)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy

Anything goes---musings on Christmas music, movies, history, memories---anything Christmas that moves me to write. I hope you find something to enjoy here!

Christmas Media For blogs discussing Christmas in movies, books and other recorded media.
Old

The Christmas Angel, by Abbie Farwell Brown

Posted 12-01-2010 at 11:21 AM by MerryCarey (MerryCarey's Blog)

Occasionally a thread pops up in the Merry Forums asking for advice on good Christmas books to read. This little book, one hundred years old this year, is always my answer. I stumbled across it a few years ago, read it, and fell in love with it. Living Age magazine in 1910 reviewed the book by saying, “Not since Charles Dickens laid down his pen forever has there been a prettier Christmas story written, one more full of the real spirit of Christmas or conveying a more seasonable lesson.” High praise, but well deserved.

When you first begin to read the story, you may believe that you’re reading yet another variation on Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. The main character, old Miss Terry, is a female Scrooge if ever there was one. “What is our Christmas, anyway?” she scoffs. “A time for shopkeepers to sell and for foolish folks to kill themselves in buying. Christmas spirit? No! It is...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Christmas Media

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award