Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > lauriebear » Uncategorized

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 53,988
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,616)
Welcome to our newest member, K1081
Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old

The closing of 2012 and the start of 2013…

Posted 12-31-2012 at 12:09 PM by lauriebear

Like a lot of other member’s blogs that I was reading the week of Christmas for me is a mix of the wonderful season we are enjoying and that touch of apprehension of the coming days without the warm glow of the tree.
So I start reminiscing over the last year and pick out the good times, I also list the “bad” times. I look over what I want to accomplish this coming year and what I will learn in the New Year. I always try to learn something new each year some things I stick with as I enjoy them, some I do not as they just do not spark real joy inside me. But, if you do not try something at least once you won’t ever know. As I do this I love reliving each memory, like the fun I had on my birthday this past February and then I wonder how much fun 2013’s birthday will be?!?! Or I think back to the beach and those mornings watching the sun come up over the Atlantic Ocean and the feel of the July sun on my face, the feel of the sand between my toes and Snicker’s digging a hole...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

What does Thanksgiving mean to you?

Posted 11-13-2012 at 01:41 PM by lauriebear

Thanksgiving Day, is celebrated in America and in other Nations as well but as I am from the U.S. I will blog on my own humble thoughts of the day. Thanksgiving is a time to gather with family and friends to give thanks for the many blessings enjoyed by the nation and their citizens. However, to many people, its meaning is lost. It has become simply another day without special meaning.

Turkey dinners, cranberries, candied yams, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and family gatherings, these are all commonly associated with most Americans’ yearly celebration of Thanksgiving Day. But, what does Thanksgiving really mean to you?

In the United States, Thanksgiving is on the fourth Thursday of November. On this holiday, a Thanksgiving meal is prepared with all the trimmings; families gather together and talk, while others watch a game or a parade filled with pilgrims, Indians and other colonial figures. Some families may even have their own yearly Thanksgiving...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

What the election means to me

Posted 11-06-2012 at 01:09 PM by lauriebear

What the election means to me

I don't pretend to be a political guru or know all there is to know about our Government. There are plenty of bloggers, websites, and tweets who can do that and give in depth analysis of all the issues. Instead, I will just simply tell you what Election Day mean to me.

As an American Citizen I am proud to cast my vote in an election, to have my voice counted. I think back today and on Veterans Day and say thank you for giving me this right. I think of the people who fought. I think of our founding fathers and wonder at amazement that to this day the system still works.
To vote is one of the greatest privileges. My vote counts towards the person I think bests fits the job, and yes that means at times I can’t always choose a person for likability, for personal reasons. I need to be prudent and choose the candidate that will best be suited to fulfill that role.

Did you know that our working government...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

All Saints Day: November 1st

Posted 11-01-2012 at 07:50 AM by lauriebear

All Saints Day, the day on which Christians celebrate all the saints, known and unknown, is a surprisingly old feast. It arose out of the Christian tradition of celebrating the martyrdom of saints on the anniversary of their martyrdom. When martyrdoms (sp ???) increased during the persecutions of the late Roman Empire, local dioceses instituted a common feast day in order to ensure that all martyrs, known and unknown were properly honored.

The Date is November 1st
Type of Feast: Solemnity; Holy Day of Obligation
Typical Readings: Revelation 7:2-4, 9-14; Psalm 24:1bc-2, 3-4ab, 5-6; 1 John 3:1-3; Matthew 5:1-12a
Typical Prayers: Litany of the Saints

History of All Saints Day:
By the late fourth century, this common feast was celebrated in Antioch, and Saint Ephrem (sp ???) the Syrian mentioned it in a sermon in the year 373 AD. In the early centuries, this feast was celebrated in the Easter season, and the Eastern Churches, both...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Tradition of trick-or-treating

Posted 10-26-2012 at 07:35 AM by lauriebear

TRADITION OF TRICK-OR-TREATING

The tradition of trick-or-treating isn't quite as old as the holiday itself, but it's certainly been around for a while. Let's look at how this unique custom evolved.

All Soul's Night:
In Britain, people celebrated All Soul's Day for many years. Poor people went begging, and the middle-class wives handed out special treats known as Soul Cakes. When a beggar was given a Soul Cake, he promised to say a prayer for the dead. This practice was known as going "a-souling".
In Ireland, rather than begging for cakes, the poor went about asking for donations of eggs, butter and other food in preparation for a festival honoring St. Columba. In County Waterford, the night was known as "mischief night."

Trick-or-Treating in America:
By the nineteenth century, there were a lot of Americans who could trace their ancestry back to Britain, Ireland and Scotland, and they brought their traditions...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award