Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > lauriebear » Uncategorized

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,096
Threads: 53,974
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,477)
Welcome to our newest member, K31E
Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old

Halloween, some history and a few good tips

Posted 10-25-2012 at 12:48 PM by lauriebear

It was once common for people to leave food out on a table as a treat for spirits believed to be about on Halloween. In England, people went house-to-house souling—that is, asking for small breads called soul cakes in exchange for prayers. In some areas of the United Kingdom and Ireland, people wentmumming (parading in masks) on many holidays, including Halloween. Groups of masked adults would go door-to-door asking for food and drink in return for a performance or song. Dressing in costume and asking for food or money was done in England on Guy Fawkes Day (November 5).
Today, trick-or-treating is the main Halloween activity for children in the United States and Canada. Young people wear costumes and go from door to door saying "trick or treat!" Costumes range from simple homemade disguises to elaborate store-bought likenesses of characters from cartoons, motion pictures, and television. Costumes of ghosts, witches, devils, and other mysterious...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Halloween, Halloween, here there & everywhere…

Posted 10-24-2012 at 02:11 PM by lauriebear

Halloween, Halloween, here there & everywhere…

As we all know, Halloween is a worldwide holiday, taking place on October 31 and linked to celebrating the spirits of the dead. Still, this is pretty much all that the celebrations have in common in the parts of the world where they are held. While Halloween was imported in most of the countries during the last part of the 20th century, the customs have been adapted or linked to local tradition, events and beliefs. Today's access to media helps the holiday and its most popular customs in being embraced by more and more nations. Still, the international symbol of the holiday remains the Jack-o'-lantern.
Halloween eve, on October 30, called Mischief Night in the US (with the Devil's Night variation in Detroit), or Miggy Night in some regions in England, is practically an opportunity to cause mayhem, from its metaphorical acceptance (throwing eggs or letting neighbors' cattle roam loose) to its...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

The Story of Thanksgiving

Posted 10-19-2012 at 10:38 AM by lauriebear

The Story of Thanksgiving
Most stories of Thanksgiving history start with the harvest celebration of the pilgrims and the Native Americans that took place in the autumn of 1621. Although they did have a three-day feast in celebration of a good harvest, and the local natives did participate, this "first thanksgiving" was not a holiday, simply a gathering. There is little evidence that this feast of thanks led directly to our modern Thanksgiving Day holiday. Thanksgiving can, however, be traced back to 1863 when President Lincoln became the first president to proclaim Thanksgiving Day. The holiday has been a fixture of late November ever since.
However, since most school children are taught that the first Thanksgiving was held in 1621 with the Pilgrims and Indians, let us take a closer look at just what took place leading up to that event, and then what happened in the centuries afterward that finally gave us our modern Thanksgiving.
The Pilgrims who sailed...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

You've Been Boo-ed!

Posted 10-18-2012 at 01:26 PM by lauriebear

I posted this in the Countdown to Christmas Thread & Real Halloween - Re-posting here to share with EVERYONE it is sooooooo cute!!!!

OMG!!! I haven't even caught up but I had to tell you all what happened last night... Hubby & I flipping channels waiting for the Yankee / Tiger game (that was ultimately canceled) but anyway at 8:00 PM my door bell rings, I live in a condo that is gated so we figured it was just one of our neighbors, I go to the door and nobody is there!!! BUT!!!! Wait for it........ A plastic bowl filled with candy and little nicknacks with a note stating You've Been Booed!!!! The note reads....

You've Been Boo-ed!

The phantom ghost has come to town
To leave some goodies... I see you've found.
If you wish to make this a happier fall...
Continue this greeting, this phantom call.

First, post this Phantom where it can be seen,
And leave it there until Halloween.
This will...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

January, no hiding from it, no escape from it.

Posted 01-06-2012 at 01:04 PM by lauriebear

January, yup I look all around it is January, no hiding from it, no escape from it. It was bound to come as each day of December pasted it brought us closer. So maybe I should embrace it. Now for us Northerners, it means buckling down for the rest of the winter, let winter progress to spring. But, spring is right around the corner, in fact next month the Crocus will bloom, it will push up through the frost and bloom, I have purple ones.
You know, I love this time of year too. I know, I know. The Christmas season has come to a close, and I am still trying to adjust with my decorations slowly coming down and being packed away. The house does look a little forlorn. But, I do love this time of the year because I love the build up to the season, I love the planning, the thought of a new Christmas waiting for me. I love the quite this time of year offers. It seems like the whole world is “settling in for a long winter’s nap”!!! I love hiking it is a favorite pastime for...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award