Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > lauriebear » Uncategorized

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,938
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,013)
Welcome to our newest member, RMcGuigan
Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old

Thanksgiving Day Facts, History

Posted 11-14-2011 at 02:37 PM by lauriebear

The popular story is that the Plymouth Rock was the site of the original colony of the pilgrims. Contrary to this belief, however, Plymouth Rock was not the site of their original colony. The fact about the history of thanksgiving is that when the Pilgrims landed on the Plymouth Rock on December 11, 1620 in search of fresh provisions, they were greeted with hostility by the natives in the immediate vicinity and put back out to sea almost at once.

Then a little further south, the pilgrims came across Cape Cod, which was much more favorable anchorage as compared to the Plymouth Rock. And the positive thing about Cape Cod was that here the native population was more cordial in nature. Weary from their voyage and in no mood to hunt down the site mandated by their charter, which was considerably further down the coast and somewhere within the limits of the original grant of the Virginia Company of Plymouth, the Pilgrims decided to establish their colony within this friendly territory.
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Thanksgiving Day

Posted 11-11-2011 at 02:23 PM by lauriebear

Thanksgiving Day is celebrated in the United States every year on the fourth Thursday in November. On this day the American families gather and enjoy the Thanksgiving feast, which includes Turkey, with all the trimmings. They also offer Thanksgiving prayers to God on this day and sing songs to praise Him.

History of American Thanksgiving

The 1st Thanksgiving Day, set aside for the special purpose of prayer and celebrations, was decreed by Governor William Bradford in July 30, 1623. There were harvest festivals, or days of thanking God for plentiful crops because that year the Pilgrim's fall harvest was very successful and plentiful after a period of drought. There was corn, fruits, vegetables, along with fish which was packed in salt, and meat that was smoke cured over fires. The Governor proclaimed a day of thanksgiving that was to be shared by all the colonists and the neighboring Native American Indians.

The event, however, was a...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Thanksgiving...Family, Love, and FOOTBALL!!!!

Posted 11-10-2011 at 01:59 PM by lauriebear

There is nothing quite like the way Thanksgiving brings families together for giving thanks for all we have to be thankful for. Some, it's their health, their career, or their friends, but all will agree that it's the family that has are gathered together that they are most thankful for, even if you can’t spend the whole day and you do the “house hop”.
Thanksgiving is a holiday that is steeped in tradition. It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without the turkey and stuffing and the apple and pumpkin pie. But since 1920, it would not be Thanksgiving without NFL Football.
NFL football has become as big a tradition at Thanksgiving as the turkey and mashed potatoes. Just ask anyone and if your Thanksgiving celebrations are anything like mine you will find the “family” gathered around the TV cheering for their team to win.
Now, if you are going to a large gathering, you may want to check out these tips to get the best location to enjoy all the action.
Getting Into...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award